Validation and super validation result in same error log every time I run them.

Options
RGDid10t
RGDid10t Member
I had corruption in my data file last month and when I would try to enter any transaction in any account or accept downloaded transactions, I would press enter and nothing would happen. I ran validation and it mostly resolved the problem. All of my reports and numbers seem to be ok. However, there are several recent transactions which I cannot modify or delete (which I guess I don't really need to do but is worrisome).

I have run repeated validation and super validations but each time I run them, I get the same error report (see below). Is there anything else I can do? I am a long time Quicken user and my transactions and account data go back to 1993. This is the first time I have had data file corruption which I think was related to a failing battery and power supply on my laptop and resulted in several unexpected shutdowns before I realized and resolved the problem. Like I said, I can enter new transactions and my reports and accounts are reconciled but I am afraid this will lead to problems in the future.

[Sun Oct 09 20:35:12 2022]

File: "C:\Quicken Data\Home"

QDF:
Damaged data block.
Damaged data block.
Damaged data block.
Damaged data block.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Damaged data record.
Validating your data.
Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required.
"CitiCards Double Cash Card" 8/ 6/2022 "Sq *SIDESTREETS Deli &"

QEL:
No read errors.

QEL:
All internal consistency checks passed.

[Sun Oct 09 20:37:53 2022]
Maximum security reference: 98, number of securities: 98.
Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 48/0/0
No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Do you have a backup from about a month ago, before this all started?
    Before I start a new data file from scratch, I'd rather try to restore from a good backup and then bring this file up to date. Reentering 1 month of transactions is, IMHO, less painful than starting from scratch and trying to rebuild the data for the entire year.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Even one instance of "Damaged data block/record" means your data's irreparably damaged and cannot be recovered. You can hope to limp along with that file, but the only certain remedy is to create a new file, painful though it may be.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Do you have a backup from about a month ago, before this all started?
    Before I start a new data file from scratch, I'd rather try to restore from a good backup and then bring this file up to date. Reentering 1 month of transactions is, IMHO, less painful than starting from scratch and trying to rebuild the data for the entire year.
  • RGDid10t
    RGDid10t Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information even if it is very bad news. I will see how far I have to go back to get a clean file. My mom had been in hospice for several months and was helping care for her before she passed so had fallen way behind in Quicken before getting up to date recently. I might have to go back to March for a clean backup. If that is clean, I might endure the work to bring it back up to date. I have endured a lot of bugs over the last 30 years but the performance problems in the last couple years combined with increasing issues are getting to be too much. The only thing that has kept me from leaving is my historical data. If starting from scratch is my only option, it won't be in Quicken even if it means going back to spreadsheets.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When looking for backup files, do remember to look in the folders where Quicken stores both the Automatic Backups and the Manual Backups.
    See Edit / Preferences / Backup for your backup settings in effect and a pointer to the Automatic Backup location.
    And, while in there, do set your backups, both types, to "enabled [√]" and to "create a backup every [1] times you close Quicken".
    One can never have enough backups. BTDTGTS!

• RGDid10t
    RGDid10t Member
    Options
    Thank you again. I did find a clean automatic backup taken before an update in late August which passed validation. Since I was still behind at that point, my transactions were only updated through March. Fortunately, I recently got another laptop, so I was able open the corrupted file on the old laptop while remoted into it from the new laptop with the recovered file open. On the old laptop, I did QIF exports from each CC and bank account for the transactions missing from the recovered file, copied the exports over to the new laptop then imported them into the recovered file. I was able to get all of my missing transactions imported from the corrupted file. I then ran another validate to make sure I didn't reintroduce any corruption and it came back clean. I just have a few housecleaning operations such as bringing investment accounts up-to-date and re-running reconciliation on my checking account but my file is clean and I am very, very happy I didn't have to re-download hundreds of transactions and go through the tedious process of entering and categorizing them again.
This discussion has been closed.