Cannot start Quicken after latest update

Options
misapope
misapope Member ✭✭
Just updated Quicken to latest version this morning (10/13/2022) and have since been unable to start it up. It shuts down immediately during startup. I have restarted my system and even reinstalled from myaccount.quicken, all to no avail. Is anybody else having the same problem after this update?
Tagged:

Comments

• bobinshoreline
    Options
    To commiserate, the same thing is happening to me. I spent 5 hours on the phone with support yesterday with no result. Tried everything, I mean everything. Computer is running 100% normal with the exception of Quicken. Hopefully Q will come up with an answer and let us know.
  • Ilikegolf@30
    Ilikegolf@30 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options
    I can not get into my Quicken accounts
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To commiserate, the same thing is happening to me. I spent 5 hours on the phone with support yesterday with no result. Tried everything, I mean everything. Computer is running 100% normal with the exception of Quicken. Hopefully Q will come up with an answer and let us know.
    Have you tried creating a new Windows user account and then starting Quicken?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    I can not get into my Quicken accounts
    We need more information. Does Quicken start? What happens next?
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was able to get in after countless uninstalls, deletions of Quicken program directory, and reinstalls. Unbelievably, it seems as if there was a data file problem! File was fine yesterday. Also, app had failed multiple times when I tried to validate my data file. But after flailing around for hours (I refused to call Quicken Support as I assumed that would lead to hours of fruitless try-this-try-that, mainly because I had tried everything myself. At a certain point, in looking in my Backup directory I noticed the following file: Qdata11a-R-44.25-2022-10-13.

[Note that altho if you Google for the most recent release of the software it says R44.25, the version that I was finally able to successfully install and activate says R44.27.]

The other curious thing about this file is that altho the name implies that it was created today, 10/13, the time stamp of the file is actually yesterday. I am certain I did not create this file as it would have involved me actually renaming my data file name. I did not even know that there was an update until I opened Quicken today! Maybe somebody can explain where this file came from?

At any rate, I was able to double click on the file and Quicken started up, identifying the file as a restored backup file.

As I said, I had uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. But if the problem is really somehow with the data file, perhaps it is worth looking to see if there is a similarly named %R22.45% file in your backup directory. If so, perhaps you can start up Quicken by double clicking this file. I don't understand any of this, but it's worth a shot.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The file you found was an automatic backup created silently by Quicken. That is a .QDF-backup file, where a regular data file ends in .QDF (but their contents are the same). You're lucky it got created before your main file was corrupted.
    You're not doing yourself any favors by hiding filename extensions. I suggest making them visible.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    I know it's a backup file. I just do not understand why it was created with the R22.45 as part of the filename, coincidentally the name of the newest update, and which is unlike any of my other backups, so it was not just an automatic backup file. (Automatic backups also include the time of day in the file name.) Also, altho it would make sense if a backup was created before the update started, the date that was added at the end of the filename is not the same as the date that it was created.

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation, but I think it would be helpful to understand where this file came from. (Also, if anyone is having the same problem, maybe they had a similar backup file created.)
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    UPDATE

I tried to start Quicken by double clicking on a different data file (different set of accounts). Bombed out again. Also a separate problem, consistently bombs when I try to create a manual backup. There seems to be a problem handling the data files. I am going to work with it for the next day or 2 and report back. In the meantime, if anybody has found a solution to this, please speak up. I am getting really spooked by this apparent instability.
  • BobG205
    BobG205 Member
    Options
    Same problem with R44.27. Used CTRL-SHIFT to start and validated my data file to get my data to load again. HOWEVER, now I get black screens and "not responding" when I try to update my accounts. When the process finally finishes, it reports no new transactions although I can see several.
    I think the update hammered the data file and broke Update accounts.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    Is there any way to back out an update? I'm just running into too many problems with R44.27 and am running out of answers. I manage all of my finances with Quicken and can't afford continuing to deal with these issues. In all the years working with Quicken, never had any problem.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    I can Restore a backup file but I crash when I try to Open a data file. When I try to Backup a datafile I crash immediately, but the backup file is created. I can then restore the newly created backup file. So I'm not sure if the problem is the file or the file handling.

BTW, I have been using Quicken for over 20 years. I am running Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2 (have successfully run previous version of Quicken in this environment). Only change has been R44.27.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    Installed R44.28, but that did not solve my problem.
  • Steve1964
    Steve1964 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue. I downloaded CCleaner which is a free software for cleaning your registers and such. I ran this and cleaned up my registers and a bunch of internet downloaded junk files. It allowed me to open my file and everything worked. It repeated the problem about 2 weeks later and I again tried everything, deleting quicken, reloading it, validating my files, creating a new file, etc. The only thing that appears to work was to rerun ccleaner and it fixed something so I can run quicken again. I also have used quicken for at least 30 years and this is the first time I am hesitant to open quicken due to the instability of it. I am running the latest version of home and business and it has worked with no issues the last week now. Hope this helps.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Situation has worsened. Can no longer open Quicken by restore. I get the following error message:

You have exceeded the maximum number of datasets. You cannot create a new dataset or continue to perform your current task at this time. Please contact Quicken Support at https://www.quicken.com/contact-support for help resolving this issue.

I did that, and the problem appeared to be solved by logging out and then logging in to my Quicken account. However, the problem returned when I tried to retore a different backup file. The solution previously provided does not work! I am now unable to use Quicken at all!!!!

Can somebody help me please?
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    Still no answer! Same problem with R44.28! At least I am able to start up Quicken by restoring backups and I am able to save my backup file, altho I crash immediately afterward. I would have thought that with this kind of error, more people would have run into the same problem.
  • captcrr
    captcrr Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue (Quicken crashing after data file loads). This happened earlier this year and support blamed corruption in my file. Mysteriously, it started working after a future software update. Suspecting a similar situation this time. I hope they can figure out a solution and get it released soon.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    I still have the problem, almost a month now. Have updated to R45.7, but this did not help. After some initial outreach from Support, in which I was told that they were able to reproduce the problem, I have been left to fend for myself! I cannot tell you how disappointing that is to me!
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @captcrr said:
    > I am having the same issue (Quicken crashing after data file loads). This happened earlier this year and support blamed corruption in my file. Mysteriously, it started working after a future software update. Suspecting a similar situation this time. I hope they can figure out a solution and get it released soon.

In the meantime, I have been able to start up via a backup file; the restore process works! When I am finished, I can also successfully backup my datafile, although the Quicken crashes.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    Problem has not been resolved yet!! Support claim that the problem is a memory leak, but I don't understand why there are not more users reporting the same problem.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

I use Norton, not Windows Defender. However I do use OneDrive. This was an option that seemed to happen after I updated to Windows 11 just over a week before this problem started! I had never previously used OneDrive I do not really understand OneDrive at all!

The only way I can start Quicken up is by restoring a backup file (once I backup the file Quicken crashes but the backup is successfully created. The backup file is at the following locations and is restored to the next level up:

C:\Users\MikeG\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\(my first datafile backup)
    C:\Users\MikeG\OneDrive\Documents\Quicken\(my datafile)

Note that I have been in contact with Support about this and they have identified the problem, but they say they need to proceed with caution to ensure solution does not impact overall app performance. But it's been 6 weeks now!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    I would suggest moving your Quicken folder out of OneDrive since it's supported. Try C:\Users\MikeG\Documents\Quicken\
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I did try that after your last comment, but same result. I had to create the Quicken folder, tho. Have to say I'm a bit ticked off that OneDrive is controlling my files. I need to look at that more closely.

Thanks for the suggestion! Given the fact that apparently only a handful of people seem to have this problem, there must be something unique about my environment that is causing the problem.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    6 weeks! Still can't start up Quicken normally. I am trying to be patient, but this is really poor. Minimal contact from "Support."
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    Have you tried creating a new Windows user account and running Quicken from there? You got also try booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and running Quicken.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Have you tried creating a new Windows user account and running Quicken from there? You got also try booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and running Quicken.

When I booted up in Safe Mode I got the following error message when I tried to start up Quicken:

"Unknown error in opening data file."

When I tried to start up from the backup file (which is what I have to do to start up Quicken for now), I get the error message, "Could not restore the datafile," followed by the above message.

I was not able to start up Quicken with the new Windows account because it would not allow me to login to my Quicken account. I believe to do so I would either have to create a new Quicken user, which I am not willing to do. I do not like having multiple accounts just "hanging around." Also do not feel comfortable messing around with my Quicken account. If Support requests that I do so, I would consider it at that time.

Again, thank for your ideas.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    Again, I would suggest moving your Quicken data file out of a OneDrive folder to a local folder.
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Again, I would suggest moving your Quicken data file out of a OneDrive folder to a local folder.

I did that the first time you suggested it. Same results!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    I don't understand why you couldn't login to Quicken with a new Windows user account. Did you copy your Quicken data file to Documents\Quicken and then try to open the file? Are you getting an error message(s)?
  • misapope
    misapope Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > I don't understand why you couldn't login to Quicken with a new Windows user account. Did you copy your Quicken data file to Documents\Quicken and then try to open the file? Are you getting an error message(s)?

I had not copied my datafile over when I created the new Windows user. So this time I did so and it worked! In fact, it allowed me to access the file immediately. When I start up Quicken in my regular environment (ie, by restoring from backup) I have to wait almost a minute before I can actually navigate within the app; a large part of that time is in synchronizing the file with the cloud. In the new Windows user environment, the file opens and is instantly navigable.

When I tried to access that file from my old Windows user however, I crashed as usual, which is rather mystifying for me as the file is definitely local. Why do you think it worked with the new Windows user / environment?
This discussion has been closed.