Problems With Latest Updates

jldavid47
jldavid47 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭
I'm running Quicken R44.28 under Windows 10 but this started cropping up a couple of updates ago.

After being up and running for a day or two, Quicken suddenly gets slow and sometimes freezes. Today I got an "insufficient memory" popup which is ridiculous as I have 32 GB of RAM of which only half was being used at the time. There should be no swapping unless Quicken has decided to allocate only so much memory and then decides itself to swap (why?). If I kill and restart Quicken everything runs fine for a while before the same problems start again. Even after an immediate restart switching accounts is slower than before (as is initial loading).

Something has changed but I have no idea what or why. I'd love to go back 4 updates or so to when this was not happening but that does not seem possible.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Quicken Mac Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    jldavid47 said:
    I'm running Quicken R44.28 under Windows 10 but this started cropping up a couple of updates ago.

After being up and running for a day or two, Quicken suddenly gets slow and sometimes freezes. Today I got an "insufficient memory" popup which is ridiculous as I have 32 GB of RAM of which only half was being used at the time. There should be no swapping unless Quicken has decided to allocate only so much memory and then decides itself to swap (why?). If I kill and restart Quicken everything runs fine for a while before the same problems start again. Even after an immediate restart switching accounts is slower than before (as is initial loading).

Something has changed but I have no idea what or why. I'd love to go back 4 updates or so to when this was not happening but that does not seem possible.

Any ideas?

Hello @jldavid47,        

I am sorry about these issues with slow performance and crashing. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I hope to hear more from you about how this works, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this.  

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I'm guessing ... the "insufficient memory" error occurs because the amount of memory allocated to Quicken exceeds 4 GB. AFAIK, that's the design limit for computer instructions using 32bit mode.
    Whatever you're doing in Quicken appears to cause a "memory creep" over time.
    To help with this situation, could I trouble you to show us the File Information view?
    - Click Help in the Menu Bar. Shift+click About Quicken and it'll give you the File Information view. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box to a JPG, PNG or GIF file. Drag and drop this file from Windows File Explorer into your next Comment here. 

• jldavid47
    OK, I did the reinstall a few hours ago. The version installed from the download here was 40.21 and I immediately upgraded to 44.28. So far it's behaving but that's no guarantee because the problems usually started 12-14 hours after restart. Here is the File Information view AFTER reinstall. I'm a little surprised Quicken is allocating only 2GB of memory. (Is that user configurable?) Task manager says Quicken is currently using 485 MB with that data file active. Thanks for the help and advice. I'll post again in a day or two to let you know if the problem is really resolved.
  • UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the File Information.
    The memory number shown, 2 or 4 GB, appears to depend on the Windows version. I have no idea about where this information comes from and if it can be tweaked.
    Do you really need to track 4,894 individual securities? This might be stretching design limits in Quicken a bit.
    485 Categories: Maybe a little on the high side. If there are unused categories, a little trimming might help.
    636 Memorized Payees: Again, a little on the high side. Try the following to make Quicken trim the list:
    • In Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have a checkmark at
      [√] "Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months"
      and set [xx] to something like "18". Do not set it to zero. IMHO, you should set the number to 12 or higher for best results, so that once-a-year payees don't vanish.
    • Restart Quicken for the change to take effect and housekeeping to clean up the Memorized Payee List.
    • Check the File Information box again to see the reduced count.
    If you have multiple spelling variations for the same Payee Name, e.g., McD, McDonalds, MacDonalds, etc. try to rename Payees to use one standard spelling only. Use of Renaming Rules might help with that.
  • jldavid47
    I went through the memorized payee list and culled that down to 340 entries.

I can't cull down the Categories list. The only ones not used over time are those that come with Quicken and I can't delete those (e.g. [Sales Tax]). If I eliminated categories that have been used at all it would change my historical reports because some transactions would then become Uncategorized. Don't want that.

The Securities List has a different issue. Most of the securities in that list are expired options contracts. I have no need for those in the Securities List and would love to have them gone. However, the only way to delete a security is to first delete all transactions for that security. That would create two problems. First, I don't want to lose any transaction history. That's why I use Quicken - to keep track of that stuff. Second, deleting actual transactions that occurred would screw up the account balances. I really don't want that to happen. I'm going through the list one by one (I need a life lol) and was able to find 7 bogus securities to delete so far but that doesn't even make a dent.

My data goes all the way back to 1996 when I first started using Quicken. The QDF file is up to 132.5 MB and it ain't getting any smaller. I'm open for suggestions.

FWIW I'm running fully updated Windows 10. Is the memory allocation for Windows 11 larger than 2GB? 

• jldavid47
    edited November 2022
    Update: Things worked fine until I did a One Step Update on Monday morning. Then the symptoms started cropping up. Today the program just froze doing a One Step Update. It said "Complete" on each institution but then did nothing. I waited 45 minutes then killed Quicken, restarted and reran One Step Update. It ran fine and finished within a few minutes.

There is a major problem that was introduced within the last few updates of Quicken and it appears to revolve around One Step Update. I'm not the only one with this issue. I have reported this through Quicken's "Report a Problem" feature this morning.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    jldavid47 said:
    The Securities List has a different issue. Most of the securities in that list are expired options contracts. I have no need for those in the Securities List and would love to have them gone. However, the only way to delete a security is to first delete all transactions for that security.
    Another way is to run the Archive Transactions process from the gear menu of your investment account. This creates another Quicken account and moves into it all the transactions involving securities you no longer own. It's a bit of a tedious process but could probably help in your case with lots of expired options. That would maintain your history in the archive account, but you could optionally delete the archive account and the newly removed securities.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jldavid47
    I'm making all new comments in this identical thread and will no longer be posting in this one:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7923154/slowdowns-and-not-enough-memory-to-proceed-errors
  • ripster818
    ripster818 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    Having the same issue with one step update. took 19 minutes to update 20 accounts. Win 11, R45.13. Tech said to disable all anti virus. I have Bitdefender. Will take about an hour.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2022
    This content has been removed.
This discussion has been closed.