Mac: downloads updating wrong mutual fund

Wes Maulding
Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Investing (Mac)
When I download transactions from my mutual fund provider, a new fund gets created in the securities table, transactions in the account get entered for this new fund (instead of the intended fund), and an 'Add Shares' transaction gets created to equal the number of shares with my fund provider.

As a result, each time I download, I must edit the name of the fund for the downloaded transactions and delete the 'Add Shares' entry at the bottom of the transaction log.

How do I correct the mapping of the downloaded transactions for this fund?

Mac: Monterey V12.6; Quicken: Deluxe V6.10.2

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Wes Maulding

It sounds like one of two things is happening:

1) It could be that the name of a mutual fund that you've owned has changed.  This can happen from time to time.

2) Another possibility is that the shares your old mutual fund were exchanged for shares of another mutual fund (in the same mutual fund family).

I would suggest that you visit the website of the mutual fund that you previously owned (and believe are still invested in) to see if there is more information on this matter.  Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Wes Maulding

It sounds like one of two things is happening:

1) It could be that the name of a mutual fund that you've owned has changed.  This can happen from time to time.

2) Another possibility is that the shares your old mutual fund were exchanged for shares of another mutual fund (in the same mutual fund family).

I would suggest that you visit the website of the mutual fund that you previously owned (and believe are still invested in) to see if there is more information on this matter.  Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Wes Maulding
    Wes Maulding Member ✭✭
    Thanks Frankx... this was helpful.

I decided to change fund in the transactions to align with the fund Quicken wanted to map downloaded transactions to, then deleted the fund I was previously using, then changed the name of the remaining fund to the name I wanted it to be. All looks good now.

I am still curious how Mac Quicken maps downloaded transactions to securities, as it appears quite different than I remember how the Windows version handled this. But my immediate issues is resolved.
This discussion has been closed.