tdameritrade downloads are missing information

Options
AllanDB
AllanDB Member ✭✭
When I download a transaction from tdameritrade, the security and net transaction cost goes into the "accept downloaded transactions" area. However, when I accept the transaction, the amount that gets entered into the register is just the amount of the commission and any regulatory fees.

When I go to edit the transaction, the information on the number of shares and price per share is missing; only the commission shows up and the amount of the commission shows up as the total for the transaction. I then have to manually enter the information for the number of shares and price per share to have a correct transaction.

This has only been happening since the last Quicken update. I am running a Windows 10 PC with Quicken Deluxe R45.7

I help with correcting this problem would be appreciated.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again AllenDB,

I just saw a post by another user who is having similar problems with a brokerage account (but with another broker).  He is also on R-45.7 - so, as I mentioned to him, you may want to consider rolling back Quicken to the version you were last running.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @mmtrader

It could have been a recent post  (that you saw) where I suggested that some Quicken users (those who were experiencing significant issues with respect to downloads of securities transactions that were - on their face- incomplete) might want to revert to an earlier version of Quicken.  If that is what you want to do (BTW there is no requirement that all Quicken users must be running the most recent version), all you need to do is to:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Close out of Quicken; then open and download this LINK;
    3) Page down and then under Windows (US) - click on October - and the on the "release R44-28" link to start the download:
    4) Once the download of has completed - locate it (likely in your Downloads file) the filename is "QW27.1.44.28MPatch";
    5) Double click on it to install the download and once completed, restart Quicken.

Let me know if you have any followups and/or tell me how that all went.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @mmtrader

Regarding the questions that you posed in your two last posts:

Yes, Quicken will prompt you to update to a later version, but you should not accept those prompts to update until you are sure that this problem has been corrected.  If you were to accept an update, you'll be back to the problems that you seeing now.

On the second question, the roll-back to an earlier version should have no affect at all on your datafile, including the data contained in the datafile.

Let me know how things go.

Frankx

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @AllanDB

Can you give us some additional information?

Is this the only TDA account that your have setup in Quicken? If not, are the other TDA accounts downloading properly?  Can you confirm that you are using the Direct Connect method? Do you have any other brokerage accounts or other download accounts that are downloading correctly? 

I assume that you are describing a "buy transaction" in your first sentence, is that correct?  I also think you are saying that you initially see the full transaction data (i.e. the name of the security, the number of shares purchased, the price per share, the commission charged and the total cost of the buy transaction) is that also correct?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

• AllanDB
    AllanDB Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for replying to my issue. I have responded to your questions, below.

Is this the only TDA account that your have setup in Quicken? If not, are the other TDA accounts downloading properly? No, I have two TDA accounts, but only one has had recent transactions that I needed to download.

Can you confirm that you are using the Direct Connect method? The accounts are set up for Direct Connect.

Do you have any other brokerage accounts or other download accounts that are downloading correctly? All my other accounts (banks, credit unions, and investment firms) download properly.

I assume that you are describing a "buy transaction" in your first sentence, is that correct? No, actually the transactions the I downloaded recently were "cover short sale" and "short sale" options trades, but until recently they had been downloading correctly. I have not had to download any conventional "buy" or "sell" transactions recently.

I also think you are saying that you initially see the full transaction data (i.e. the name of the security, the number of shares purchased, the price per share, the commission charged and the total cost of the buy transaction) is that also correct? Not exactly. When a transaction is downloaded to the "accept downloaded transaction" area below the register (before accepting the transaction), the only data visible is the security name and transaction total amount, but that is normal. The problem is when I accept a transaction there are no shares and no share price. If I then open the "edit" window for the transaction, there are no shares or share price and the total amount is only the commission and any regulatory fee. I have enclosed a file showing the "edit" window of a short sale transaction in IWM. Because the shares and share price is missing, the total amount is incorrect, whereas the total amount should be $51.34 ($0.52 per share times 100 shares, i.e. 1 options contract, minus commission and fees of $0.66) The only thing I can do is to manually enter the data for the transaction to be accurate.

I have sent a question to TDA support to see if the problem is at their end, but I have not heard back yet.

Thank you for your help.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again AllenDB,

I just saw a post by another user who is having similar problems with a brokerage account (but with another broker).  He is also on R-45.7 - so, as I mentioned to him, you may want to consider rolling back Quicken to the version you were last running.

Frankx

• jmclellan
    jmclellan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am having the same issue with Interactive Brokers accounts - and it is ALL types of transactions - Buy, Sell, Cover, Call-out on covered calls - none of the transactions have share counts or prices in the imported transactions. I am manually updating them, but it is a LOT of work. I also have too many transactions to restore a backup from before the upgrade to be able to go back a version.
  • andrewshih
    andrewshih Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    It's occurring for me as well on both Fidelity and Schwab options transactions. I'm also on R45.7
  • Huskies11
    Options
    This started happening around Nov. 4th for me. Option transaction are no longer bringing over the share count and contract pricing. Would like to see this fixed. Tried resetting account, did not work. Using R45.7 also.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    @jmclellan @andrewshih & @Huskies11

As I have mentioned in another post - I don't believe that you will need to restore a backup, should you decide to take the recommendation I made above to revert to an earlier version of Quicken (prior to R45.7).  You can still run your current datafile and reconnect to your accounts for downloads.

Frankx

• jmclellan
    jmclellan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I did a chat support yesterday, and the support tech had me reinstall from the Mondo patch file, and then sign out of my quicken ID, and then back in - and then said I was "fixed"! Just did today's One Step Update - and as expected - no change whatsoever on the imported transactions! Still no share counts or prices. If I have more time to waste today, I may do support chat again, since they don't understand the problem!
  • jmclellan
    jmclellan Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Did a support call with Quicken this morning - after showing the tech the issues, he sent me a link to use to reinstall the last October update. When I opened my data file - all of the remaining unaccepted option transactions properly had the prices and quantities with them! I will be staying on October version R44.28!
  • andrewshih
    andrewshih Member ✭✭
    Options
    I reverted to R44.28 and the imports are working as expected. Thanks.
  • J OKeefe
    J OKeefe Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem with my Fidelity account. Options shares and price information is not being downloaded. I must manually update. Problem stated with the last R-45.7 update. I prefer not to revert to an old version. Transactions downloaded correctly before the update, so something in the latest update broke the transaction download. When will Quicken fix this issue?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @J OKeefe,

Sorry that you don't feel comfortable reverting to an earlier version.  But it is impossible to know when this might be fixed.

However to speed things up, I suggest that you do a "Report a problem" through the Quicken application.  First - navigate to a screen in Quicken that shows the incorrect downloaded data (if possible).  Then - Go to "Help" > "Report a problem" and fill in the requested data ten click Send.

Unfortunately, you likely won't be contacted directly by Quicken Support and may never actually hear of any results.  But if enough folks report the issue - the chance of a quicker fix increases.

Frankx

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J OKeefe said:
    I'm having the exact same problem with my Fidelity account. Options shares and price information is not being downloaded. I must manually update. Problem stated with the last R-45.7 update. I prefer not to revert to an old version. Transactions downloaded correctly before the update, so something in the latest update broke the transaction download. When will Quicken fix this issue?
    Quicken Inc typically does not announce fixes before they are released.  Some fixes happen quickly and some never happen at all. It is somewhat dependent on the severity of the issue and the number of Quicken users affected.  

I would encourage anyone facing this issue to use the in-product Help | Report a Problem to report the issue as that is one mechanism for gauging the number of users affected. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mmtrader
    mmtrader Member ✭✭
    Options
    I had this problem with TD Ameritrade beginning the week of 11/7/22. All option trades were only downloading the commissions - No Share Count - No price. I went on vacation and did some trading while away. Just came back and quicken updated to the latest version and I went to download everything and again, Nothing is downloading correctly when it comes to option transactions ( ALL Types - buys, sells, cover short sales, etc. ) I average about 50 to 100 option transactions per day. Please address this issue. It is a major problem. I am on version R45.11. Fortunately I backed up the file prior to attempting to make the download. I restored the backed up file so I am back to square one. Someone posted to revert back to R44.28.. How does one revert back to a previous version? This really needs to be addressed by Quicken tech support immediately.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @mmtrader

It could have been a recent post  (that you saw) where I suggested that some Quicken users (those who were experiencing significant issues with respect to downloads of securities transactions that were - on their face- incomplete) might want to revert to an earlier version of Quicken.  If that is what you want to do (BTW there is no requirement that all Quicken users must be running the most recent version), all you need to do is to:

1) Backup your Quicken datafile;
    2) Close out of Quicken; then open and download this LINK;
    3) Page down and then under Windows (US) - click on October - and the on the "release R44-28" link to start the download:
    4) Once the download of has completed - locate it (likely in your Downloads file) the filename is "QW27.1.44.28MPatch";
    5) Double click on it to install the download and once completed, restart Quicken.

Let me know if you have any followups and/or tell me how that all went.

Frankx

• AYN
    AYN Member
    Options
    same issue here with Etrade!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @AYN,

Yes, some users are seeing this problem across a number of different brokerage companies, and that's because the problem seems to lie in this recent Quicken application update.  If you haven't tried it yes, I suggest that you follow the instructions I gave above to see if that fixes it for you. (Always make sure you have a good backup before taking the any action.)

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• AYN
    AYN Member
    Options
    Frankx, Thanks for the workaround. However, how do we have them fix this issue?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @AYN,

They are aware of the issue, and hopefully will have it fixed soon.

Frankx

• mmtrader
    mmtrader Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Frankx Thank you for your response. I have yet to proceed with the work around but will get to it this weekend. I did open quicken this evening and there was another auto update so I am now on R45.13. Was hoping this update contained a fix but unfortunately it did not. I have two TD Ameritrade accounts, one of which is very active option day trading anywhere from 50 to 200 transactions per day. Another is not traded as often but I did try to download 8 new transactions into that account as a "test" but the same problem occurred. So, I just deleted those transactions. I usually update my Charles Schwab accounts, which are all equities and fixed income, every weekend but being I have just returned from vacation, tonight was the first time I was able to update those accounts since 11/4/22 and there too exist multiple problems -- i.e. I only had one sell equity transaction the past few weeks and it did not hit at all ( I had to manually input it ); All Schwab accounts after downloading resulted in the following -- "ZERO Shares Reported from institution" but with the correct amount of shares stated in Quicken. In addition, none of the preferred holdings quotes updated since 11/4/22 and a few other non preferred stocks also had quotes not being updated. So I had to hand input the correct closing quotes from todays market close in order have the quicken accounts balances match the real time account balances in Schwab. I have been a quicken user I would say for 25 years ( maybe longer ) and have never encountered such a serious issue. I do intend to call their tech support to find out when a fix will be applied. I am waiting to download 115 option transactions into my active TD Ameritrade from when I was on vacation -- Will attempt this after I go backwards in time this weekend in order to install that previous version. Thanks for your help. Will keep you posted on both my progress with your solution and my conversations with Quicken tech support.
  • mmtrader
    mmtrader Member ✭✭
    Options
    @ Frankx. Question. After I install R44.28, won't quicken prompt me to update to the latest version every time I open it? Thanks..
  • mmtrader
    mmtrader Member ✭✭
    Options
    @ Frankx. Sorry to bother you again. But I just noticed that the rollback is from October. Being that I am not actually restoring a previous backed up quicken file from October ( just rolling back to a previous version ), this should not result in all option transactions being redownloaded since October, correct? Because if so, that will result in over 2000 transactions for me to sort through. Not sure if that is feasible for me or not. Thanks in advance.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @mmtrader

Regarding the questions that you posed in your two last posts:

Yes, Quicken will prompt you to update to a later version, but you should not accept those prompts to update until you are sure that this problem has been corrected.  If you were to accept an update, you'll be back to the problems that you seeing now.

On the second question, the roll-back to an earlier version should have no affect at all on your datafile, including the data contained in the datafile.

Let me know how things go.

Frankx

• mmtrader
    mmtrader Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Frankx

Thank you for all of your input. I successfully rolled back the Quicken Version to R44.28 and was able to download 155 option transactions from when I was on vacation. I first noticed this issue on Nov 9th when I downloaded Nov 8th trades. So I had to edit 90 transactions from Nov 8th, which took about 4 hours. I did stop downloading once I noticed this issue. Fortunately, with your help, I was able to download all option transactions after Nov 8th without issue using R44.28 and am happy to say that that account is now in balance.

I did notice on the Nov 8th trades that within the register, it did show the commissions plus total $$ amount. I became curious whether or not I really had to edit anything being that the TOTAL $$ amount of the trade +/- commissions were in the register. So I installed Quicken on a 2nd computer and moved my file over. I then began to edit the transactions on my main computer and file- Once the edit window was open, the only thing that appeared was the commission amount ( the like amount was also in the Total Cost/Sale field) . So, I had to add the number of shares, the price and chose adjust for the Total cost/ sale amount. The unedited trades on my 2nd computer resulted in an incorrect P & L so I went ahead and edited the remaining trades from Nov 8th on the main file.

In my 2nd TD Ameritrade account which is not traded nearly as often and which I used as a "test" download to see if things were fixed prior to rolling back, I had deleted the trades that did not download correctly so after rolling back it did not re-download the transactions so I had to manually input those trades. I guess even though they were downloaded incorrectly and deleted, Quicken still picked up on the fact that they were downloaded once already. The option contracts were listed in the Security list, so this was rather easy to manually input. When I was testing the downloads, I received all kinds of messages from Quicken looking to rename APPL contracts in the account to GOOG contracts. Some other positions generated similar Quicken Suggestions which I ignored. I was able to fix everything manually and that account is now in balance and should download correctly going forward using R44.28.

To summarize Charles Schwab downloads - It is not downloading any buy/sell transactions. It is not updating any option quotes ( I only have a few option positions and their quotes were last updated 11/4/22 ). I have three Schwab accounts one of which is a long term investment account with give or take 100 positions. After downloading, it generated "Zero Shares Reported" ( from institution ), but The correct amount of shares in quicken for the entire account. I just clicked out of that report and that was fine. All of my Preferred holdings quotes there to were not updated since 11/4/22. A few other positions also experienced the same thing. The only thing that downloaded correctly were dividends and interest.

In summary, multiple problems across multiple brokerage downloads. This is 100% a quicken problem. I will be calling their tech support in a few days looking for answers and a status on a fix. I want to attempt to have them contact me when a fix is in place. Otherwise, how will one know this problem ( which in my opinion is a major problem ) is resolved. I have been a quicken user for 30+ years and by far, this is the worst tech issue I have seen.

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @mmtrader

Thanks so much for the update. 

With your being a frequent trader, I clearly understand the significant negative effect that this Quicken version problem has had on you.  I appreciate your search for answers to this problem, as well as the need to get notification from Quicken on when this issue will be resolved, and I too expect that Quicken will tell all of us when it has been fixed.

Being a very long-time Quicken user (and customer!!!) I too sincerely hope that the company will address this significant issue ASAP and fix the grass roots problem(s) that caused these issues for users.

Frankx

• AYN
    AYN Member
    Options
    Is there any official acknowledgment of this significant issue from QUICKEN? It's almost been a month now.
  • acferrad
    acferrad Member ✭✭
    Options
    It is a bug introduced with these updates we are forced to install. I rolled back to 44.27 and the problem was not there in that version. You then have to get Windows to warn you when Quicken wants to update, and you disallow that whenever it tries.
  • MikeNice3000
    Options
    I too am a long time Quicken user, and a TD Ameritrade options trader and have been having the issue with the transaction details (# shares and price) not downloading correcting into the register. I too had to manually update 60 trades and solve for the new transaction total for each trade, which takes a lot of time. I have sent an error report with screenshots to the Quicken help three times since this started and have not received an acknowledgement or seen a fix for this problem.

This issue is unsustainable for high volume traders with lots of transactions and needs to be a priority for the Quicken tech team. This is one of the worst bugs that I have seen them let slip by in recent years. I did the rollback to 44.28 and will see if that works when I download transactions this week. Quicken needs to acknowledge this problem and post an ETA for resolution.
  • Pam
    Pam Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Frankx-I had the same problems. I used your work around and reverted to 44.28. My question now is-what do we look for in the release notes so that in the future we can update to a new release that will have corrected this problem. Thanks again!
  • Huskies11
    Options
    New update to Version R45.21 fixed the issue for me.
This discussion has been closed.