Old unreconciled transactions suddenly appear in checking register, how to fix?

Options
DRMick
DRMick Member ✭✭✭
I recently closed an extinct credit card in Quicken R45.7. Then about 25 very old transactions from that credit card appear unreconciled in my working checking account register. Those transactions are marked R in the closed credit card register but not in the Checking account. Should I just mark them Reconciled in the checking account OR should I delete them from the register?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @DRMick,

You didn't mention it above, but I suspected that those old transactions may be duplicates.  And yes, if that's the case, you should delete them.  Once you do that let me know if the account balances once again.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @DRMick,

You didn't mention it, but can I assume that your "working checking account" is not out of balance?  Or is the situation simply that those entries are no longer marked as cleared in your checking account?  If it is the latter - and if you reconcile that checking account on a regular basis - then I think you'll be safe simply marking them "R" and calling it a day.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Frankx said:
    Hi @DRMick,

You didn't mention it, but can I assume that your "working checking account" is not out of balance?  Or is the situation simply that those entries are no longer marked as cleared in your checking account?  If it is the latter - and if you reconcile that checking account on a regular basis - then I think you'll be safe simply marking them "R" and calling it a day.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx
    You're right, the online balance in the checking account does not match the Quicken current or ending balance by close to the amount of the sum of those transactions that popped up.  I did not notice those transactions until I did my monthly reconcile today. In addition  I discovered they were duplicate payments.  So I suppose I will try deleting them.  Keep backups of course.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @DRMick,

You didn't mention it above, but I suspected that those old transactions may be duplicates.  And yes, if that's the case, you should delete them.  Once you do that let me know if the account balances once again.

Frankx

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    FrankX:  Yes they were duplicate transactions.  I deleted them from the checking account register and the balances compare now.  Thanks for the advice. 
This discussion has been closed.