Can't enter web address in Account Details dialog

MichaelV1956
MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
I was trying to enter banking web address in the Account Details dialog, Home page textBox. I kept getting an error saying "Enter a name that does not contain ':]/[|'. Tried to Report a problem using the Help menu, and that didn't work either. Quicken crashed the first time, then just kept reporting that it couldn't connect to quicken. I've entered web addresses in the above mentioned field in the past with no problem. Anyone else seen this problem?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I was trying to enter banking web address in the Account Details dialog, Home page textBox. I kept getting an error saying "Enter a name that does not contain ':]/[|'. Tried to Report a problem using the Help menu, and that didn't work either. Quicken crashed the first time, then just kept reporting that it couldn't connect to quicken. I've entered web addresses in the above mentioned field in the past with no problem. Anyone else seen this problem?
    Hello @MichaelV1956,   

I am sorry about this strange error message. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, where are you trying to enter the address, specifically? Is this under the General tab in Account Details, and if so, which box are you typing this information into? Also, is this affecting only one account, and if so, which financial institution is affected (if any)?

Lastly, have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    Jared, I have the account open, select the gear icon, select Edit Account Details. I then try to enter the web address in the Home Page TextBox. As soon as I select the OK button, I get the error message. I have screen shots of all this, is there any way to post those? I have tried restarting the computer, but I'm still getting the error. I have not tried to reinstall Quicken at this time. The address I'm trying to paste there: https://citiretailservices.citibankonline.com/RSnextgen/svc/launch/index.action?siteId=PLOC_SHELL#signon
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    These are the rest of the screen shots pertaining to the error
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    Jared, I apologize. I didn't answer all your questions. This is a new account. All the others already have a web address saved in Account Details. Therefore, I'm not sure if any other account is affected or not. The account is a Shell Rewards MasterCard offered by Citi Bank.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you can just enter a web address in account details. I believe it gets populated when you setup Online Services. Is that what you're trying to do?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    Hi, Greg_the_Geek. Online services are already set up. I'm downloading transactions ok. I was trying to save the web address in Account Details. When I've done that in the past, I have a new menu selection saying, "Visit financial institution webpage" that shows up. I've done this several times for other accounts, it just "automagically" stopped accepting the web address for some reason.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I just tried it and your link worked for me. I would suggest deactivating Online Services in the account, create a new account and then entering the link. If it works, you can move all transactions from the old account to the new one and delete the old one. Please make a backup first.
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    I tried deleting then readding the account and I'm getting the same problem. I'm actually getting that same error when I click on anything except the Cancel button in the Edit Account Details dialog.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried validating your data file? Also, try creating a new data file and adding the account.
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    Tried validating file. Problem persisted. Tried creating new quicken data file and adding the problematic account. I'm still getting the same error. I think I'm at the point where I need to re-install Quicken.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    These are the rest of the screen shots pertaining to the error
    Are you sure the error message pertains to the Homepage field?
    I just successfully added "https://www.citi.com" to the Homepage field of my Citi VISA card, clicked OK to save it and then clicked Go on the Homepage field. This immediately brought up my usual Citi logon in my default web browser.
    The Account Name field containing "|" and "®" looks to me more likely to be the culprit. Try removing these two characters and see if the problem message goes away.
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    Hello UKR, and thank you!! It was the odd characters in the account name. Problem solved!
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    That was the account name downloaded from Citi Bank. I guess I'll need to watch out for that from now on.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reporting with the results.
    IIRC, similar situations have been discussed long ago. The programmers, both at the bank and at Quicken, ought to know that certain special characters are not allowed in the Account Name and some other fields.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    the moderators tell me that this issue has been forwarded to the programmers for review and given a ticket number, CTP-5324.
    Let's hope we'll get this problem fixed in a not too future release.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I was able to enter https://citiretailservices.citibankonline.com/RSnextgen/svc/launch/index.action?siteId=PLOC_SHELL#signon (from the OP's post) in the Home page box and get to the web page without a problem.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I was able to enter https://citiretailservices.citibankonline.com/RSnextgen/svc/launch/index.action?siteId=PLOC_SHELL#signon (from the OP's post) in the Home page box and get to the web page without a problem.
    that problem's a red herring. As was shown earlier, the error message about invalid characters applies to the Account Name field, not the fields with the URL addresses. Please reread all the comments above.

• Greg_the_Geek
    @UKR,

See: https://us.v-cdn.net/6031128/uploads/editor/sl/t5vii3maxy5v.png
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you're still not getting the picture. It doesn't matter what the OP is trying to change. The Account Name field was created incorrectly with downloaded information when the account was added to Quicken, without causing a problem due to invalid characters.
    Now that the OP is trying to change something else in the Account Details view, the program validity checks all fields in the panel, refuses to accept the invalid characters in Account Name and gives a misleading error message.
    This message should state something like this instead:
    Quicken was not able to use the Account Name that you entered.
    Enter an Account Name that does not contain the characters ": ] / [ | ^"
    ™ © ® characters may also be invalid, but are not explicitly listed.
    In addition to changing the error message, programmers also need to ensure that, upon account creation, a downloaded Account Name containing any invalid characters has these invalid characters removed.

• Greg_the_Geek
    I've got it now! Sorry for being so obtuse. 🤦
  • MichaelV1956
    MichaelV1956 Member ✭✭
    Hey guys! Thank you all for the help!
This discussion has been closed.