Converted file account shows strange ending balance

I converted a Quicken 2011 file to the current windows version. Everything is fine except one account shows an ending balance in the Accounts Bar as 82272726370205285. This then causes the Ending Balance for all accounts to be a similar meaningless 17 digit number. When I switch to Show Current Balance in Accounts Bar - the balance displays fine.
Tagged:

Comments

  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    JimB987 said:
    I converted a Quicken 2011 file to the current windows version. Everything is fine except one account shows an ending balance in the Accounts Bar as 82272726370205285. This then causes the Ending Balance for all accounts to be a similar meaningless 17 digit number. When I switch to Show Current Balance in Accounts Bar - the balance displays fine.
    Hello @JimB987,   

    I am sorry about these problems with online banking services. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

    First, is this account being operated manually, or is it associated with a financial institution through online banking services? If the latter is the case, what financial institution is associated with the account? Also, I want to be sure: do all other balances and amounts besides the one next to the Accounts List bar appear correctly? 

    If everything else appears as expected, then I recommend you save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the steps listed below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

    If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing about your results, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this. 

    Thank you,

    Quicken Jared 
  • JimB987
    JimB987 Member
    Hello, thank you for the information. The noted account and all other accounts in this file are manually updated and not connected to any institutions. All other account Ending Balances show correctly.
    I tried both of the solutions you suggested and the problem persists.
    Any further help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim B
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you still have Quicken 2011, I would suggest validating your data file in 2011 before converting. Also, you could try the free version of Quicken 2013 (Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version)) before converting to the current version.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the suggestions from @Greg_the_Geek do not advance you -- 

    It appears your register has a bogus piece of information dated in the future but inaccessible. 

    Is this a non-investment account?

    If so, I suggest within the new program installation -- be sure you have a good backup 
    • Create a new (manual / offline) account
    • Select a group of transactions in the existing account (click on one, shift-click on a later one).  I'd start at the beginning transactions in that account.  Right-click and choose the Move Transactions option to move those to the new account. 
    • Depending on the total number of transactions in the account, work in groups or in total to move all transactions through today to the new account
    • See if the new account shows the same problem.
    • If all appears good, delete the now empty old account.  
    • I'd backup and validate again at this point as a just in case move.
    Hope this helps
  • JimB987
    JimB987 Member
    Hello all,
    thank you very much for the suggestions.
    I was able to fix the problem using a hybrid of q_lurker's suggestion. Since there were so many transfers from the problem account to other accounts in the file, when I tried to move the transactions to the new account, it caused irregularities in all the other accounts.
    To fix it I created the new account and copied in the 2023 entries (no transfers) with a starting balance of the problem account as of 12/31/2022. I then closed the problem account which set the balance to 0 and removed it from the Accounts balance calculation but keeps it available in the Accounts list and available for searching.
    Thanks again for your help
    Jim B