Show savings goal transactions affects all registers, not just one

Options
JeanHT
JeanHT Member ✭✭
For many years, checking "Show savings goal transactions in register and reports" in a particular account affected just that one account--as it should, because that's a per-account setting. But I just noticed that it has somehow become a global setting, despite not appearing in the global register setting options. Seems like a bug to me.
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JeanHT said:
    For many years, checking "Show savings goal transactions in register and reports" in a particular account affected just that one account--as it should, because that's a per-account setting. But I just noticed that it has somehow become a global setting, despite not appearing in the global register setting options. Seems like a bug to me.
    Hello @JeanHT,    

We are sorry about this issue with the 'Show savings goal transactions...' option affecting accounts globally. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance.

We were unable to reproduce this error internally. When did this issue begin? Also, where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that your current active data file is located on your computer and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic behavior and even data damage.

I look forward to your response, and I hope to provide further assistance, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken 
  • JeanHT
    JeanHT Member ✭✭
    Options
    My data file is located on my local hard drive. I just happened to notice it about a week ago.

I have the Accounts bar along the right side of the Quicken window. I use savings goals in multiple accounts. When I check and uncheck the box to display savings goals transactions, I can see the balances of multiple accounts change simultaneously.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JeanHT said:
    My data file is located on my local hard drive. I just happened to notice it about a week ago.

I have the Accounts bar along the right side of the Quicken window. I use savings goals in multiple accounts. When I check and uncheck the box to display savings goals transactions, I can see the balances of multiple accounts change simultaneously.
    Hello @JeanHT,      

We are sorry to hear that this has been continuing for a week, and thank you for answering my earlier questions about the situation.

Have you tried restoring from a recent backup? We recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done often, you should be able to restore from a backup that was saved just prior to when this issue emerged by navigating to File > Restore from backup... in the same menu. I am curious about whether or not this problem continues in the restored file. 

Let us know how this works for you, if you get the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • JeanHT
    JeanHT Member ✭✭
    Options
    Since I cannot pinpoint when the issue began, restoring from a backup is not practical. I use a system-wide backup program, not manual or automatic backups within Quicken. Restoring to some random point in time would cause me to lose potentially hundreds of transactions.

The problem is not specific to my normal data file. I have an older file that I just tested, and I can reproduce the problem in that file, too.
  • Brian McDonald
    Brian McDonald Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    JeanHT, I've had the same issue for years.  This was my last post about it.  In my case, it actually changes the balance on an account that has never even been used for a savings goal.  Account Bar bank balance negative when not using 'show saving goal transactions' — Quicken
This discussion has been closed.