Error when changing transaction category

Options
Sahuaro
Sahuaro Member
When I try and change the category for an online payment from my checking account to the correct category I get this message "You are recording a transfer back into the same account". How do I correct this? It happens with every transaction that has a category of "Free solutions checking", that is the type of checking account I have at my bank.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sahuaro said:
    ... "You are recording a transfer back into the same account"...
    This message indicates that the Category in your account is the same account name as the register containing the transaction, e.g., you're working with a transaction in your MyChecking account and the category is set to "[MyChecking]". The square brackets around the register name indicate a transfer transaction.
    Is that really what you want to do?
    The transaction should be categorized to point to the transfer-to account register that this payment really applies to, e.g., your credit card account register, [MyVISA 1234]
    Was this transaction created as the result of a downloaded transfer transaction? If so, Quicken wasn't able to determine where the money went and categorized it to "same account" instead of leaving it uncategorized.
    For transfer transactions like credit card payments, I recommend you manually record a properly categorized transfer transaction before the transaction's due date. When the transaction confirmation arrives in a download, Quicken will just match the download to the already existing register transaction and not cause any more confusion.
  • Sahuaro
    Sahuaro Member
    Options
    Example of the above message I am getting - Car payment is made online and the category listed is "Free Solutions Checking xxxx".. Cant change it to state Auto Loan without getting "You are recording a transfer back into the same account".
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sahuaro said:
    Example of the above message I am getting - Car payment is made online and the category listed is "Free Solutions Checking xxxx".. Cant change it to state Auto Loan without getting "You are recording a transfer back into the same account".
    You're most likely working with a transaction recorded in the loan account register in Quicken.
    The payment of the entire amount, principal + interest, comes in the form of a transfer from your Checking account to the loan account and a Loan:Interest category. Without actually seeing what register the transaction is recorded in and what categories are used for recording principal and interest, I would assume that this should be correct as recorded.
    Or is your loan account connected to the bank for transaction downloading? If it is, the payment transaction in your checking cannot transfer to the loan account register in Quicken. Online connected loan accounts do not have a register to make transfers to and the category for the principal amount must be something like Loan:Principal.
This discussion has been closed.