Renaming categories (Q Mac)

Options
skibblues
skibblues Member ✭✭
I have used HOUSEHOLD:Groceries:Dining and HOUSEHOLD:Groceries since I started using Quicken in 2005. The problem with those categories is that if I search on Groceries, I also get our dining expense. So I would want to change to HOUSEHOLD:Dining and keep the category of HOUSEHOLD:Groceries. I assume there must be a way to rename HOUSEHOLD:Groceries:Dining to just HOUSEHOLD:Dining. And I want to have it take effect for all dates. Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can do this. You would not actually be renaming, but rather moving Dining up a level so it is a subcategory rather than a sub-subcategory.

Open the Categories window (menu Window > Categories). You should see the hierarchy of your Dining category like this:

What you need to do is grab and drag the Dining line up in-between Household and Groceries. It will look like this while you are doing so:

When you release it, you will see Dining as a first level subcategory of Household (equal with Groceries), like this:

The entries in all your registers will automatically update to reflect this change for all transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can do this. You would not actually be renaming, but rather moving Dining up a level so it is a subcategory rather than a sub-subcategory.

Open the Categories window (menu Window > Categories). You should see the hierarchy of your Dining category like this:

What you need to do is grab and drag the Dining line up in-between Household and Groceries. It will look like this while you are doing so:

When you release it, you will see Dining as a first level subcategory of Household (equal with Groceries), like this:

The entries in all your registers will automatically update to reflect this change for all transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • skibblues
    skibblues Member ✭✭
    Options
    RickO - many thanks. Worked like a charm!
This discussion has been closed.