BuyX/SellX/DivX in converting from Windows to Mac

RayL
RayL Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I switched to a Mac from Windows in 2019 and once a year, I try migrating from Quicken Windows to Mac. In the past, it either froze or was grossly messed up - but my most recent attempt today almost worked.

The only problem is that the various X transactions (BuyX/SellX/DivX) do not seem to record the corresponding transfer properly.

Is there some special step that I may be missing?

Answers

• This content has been removed.
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Quicken Mac Subscription Member, Mac Beta Beta

@RayL As far as I know, QMac still does not convert BuyX/SellX/DivX (=action with a corresponding cash transfer to/from another account) as detailed in this thread:

However… I found when I switched (although I had no such transactions)… that the cloud converter and the File > Import > QXF do not achieve the same result. In my case I had to use File > Import because my file was apparently too large for the cloud converter (the standard/recommended conversion option).

If you haven't tried yet, do a full export of your QWin data file as a QXF and then start a fresh QMac file as a test and File > Import that QXF to see if by any chance the BuyX/SellX/DivX are each converted to a Buy/Sell/Div and a corresponding transfer transaction. Let us know! :-)

If it does work…be warned that any hidden categories in Windows will arrive in the Category list in QMac and look normal, but will be unusable as the hidden flag is acted on behind the scenes even though we have no mechanism in QMac for hiding/unhiding. So…. if you do find that this method lets you convert your BuyX/SellX/DivX propertly… then start over in QWin by un-hiding all hidden categories so that they will function in QMac when some day we get an interface to hide/unhide. (Ditto your Securities list if it has any hidden securities that you might own again in the future… e.g., stocks/funds. Obviously any matured CD's/bonds/bills can never be owned again so don't matter.)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.7

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @MontanaKarl , as you suggested I just tried it, using a QXF export from QWin/import to Mac. It's still not handling DivX properly, most investments were way off, actually 1 of my credit cards was off a fair amount (might have been just 1 issue I didn't check), and 1 bank account was way off. You would think Quicken would put some effort into making a file conversion work correctly, I have used a lot of them for different apps over the years and never seen anything like this. I deleted it all. Thanks anyway!

• RayL

I just tried the QXF approach as well. It seems much worse — even bank accounts w/o X transactions are off (including accounts that have no interactions with hidden accounts). With the online converter, only investment accounts were off. I am not quite sure what goes astray with QXF but it is definitely more problematic for my data set.

• RayL

But, thanks for the pointer to the other thread. I had not known that these transaction types are just plain missing from Mac. I guess I will continue using Parallels and will resume the "try again next year" plan to see if further progress is made.

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Quicken Mac Subscription Member, Mac Beta Beta

Thanks for the quick feedback, @Don Awalt and @RayL and sorry to hear that things were way off for both of you. I'll stop recommending this method other than for those for whom the cloud converter fails and there is no other method. (I was fortunate in that all of my balances for 30 years of data were fine via QXF. Looks like I was just lucky.)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.7

This discussion has been closed.