File Extension

Options
Churchlady
Churchlady Member ✭✭
I am trying to save a back up on a thumb drive. I go through all the steps and it says backup created. However, when I try to open the backup it will not open. It gives options on open with etc.....but can't seem to understand how to open it...

Comments

• Churchlady
    Churchlady Member ✭✭
    Options
    I can't open my Quicken backup file which I saved on a thumb drive. I received the message that backup is complete, but when I try to open it says open with etc. It seems that it saves with the wrong file extension....like the Microsoft Edge Icon....
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your post is hard to understand. What exactly do you mean when you write "it says open with etc."? What is "etc."?

Quicken data files have extension .QDF

Quicken backup files have extension .QDF-backup

Their contents are identical. If your PC is arguing with you about a .QDF-backup file, just copy or rename it to be .QDF and then open it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Churchlady
    Churchlady Member ✭✭
    Options

I cannot open the backups with the internet explorer icon.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The red Q on the white page is a .QDF-backup, and the white Q on the red page is the .QDF.

You might find all of this easier if you change Windows's extremely unhelpful default of hiding extensions. You can do this by going to the View tab of the C: drive, see below.

Also, there is a tool called the Windows Snipping Tool which can grab screen images so you don't need to take a photo.

So I'm guessing you need to associate Quicken with .QDF-backup files. You can type the word "associate" into the Windows search box and it will show you the option to "Choose a default app for each type of file." Select that and scroll down to .QDF and .QDF-backup and associate them with Quicken Windows. You may have to navigate to C:\Program Files(x86)\Quicken\qw.exe to get there.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

You might need to move the .qdf-backup file to the computer hard drive. Oh and you don't OPEN a .qdf-backup file - you RESTORE it. You can delete the -backup part and open it as a .qdf file.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Churchlady
    Churchlady Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you all so much!

This discussion has been closed.