What's the difference between BillPay and Quick Pay/Check Pay?

Options

Quicken Premier for Windows, version R50.8

I recently set up Online Bill Payment. In the Check# column, I see Pay (QuickPay/CheckPay) and BillPay options on the drop down menu.

Which one do I use?

Also, if I select Pay(Quick Pay/Check Pay) when I add a new payee, I need to choose Quick Pay or Check Pay. How do I make that choice?

Thanks

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What bank are you using ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

The bank that I set up for use by Bill paying is: Newtown Savings Bank (Newtown, CT)

Thanks again for the reply.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Options

There are two - Newtown Savings - one generic, and one for CT -

It would appear that the generic entry supports the PAYMENT feature of the bank - but the CT version does not -
    With the Direct Payment Quicken feature,
    you can enter payment transactions directly into Quicken and have them SEND directly to the bank….

70031 70031 70031 Newtown Savings Bank
    https://www.nsbonline.com (203) 426-2563
    https://www.nsbonline.com ACTIVE
    BANKING,PAYMENT&DIRECT
    BANKING&WEB-CONNECT
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

23583 23583 23583 Newtown Savings Bank CT
    http://www.nsbonline.com/ 1-800-461-0672
    https://secure.nsbonline.com/nsbonlinebanking/uux.aspx#/login ACTIVE
    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

I just entered a long reply. When I clicked on Post Comment, I do not see my comment posted.

— sigh —

☹️

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

NSB recently (last week or two) upgraded their banking software, the two things you see are probably the new and the old versions of the software?.Just before the update, I received an email from them saying that because of the new software, they will no longer support Quicken talking directly to their bill payment system to submit payment requests. Such requests can only be be made via the NSB website or the NSB mobile app.

That is why I switched to Quicken's Bill Paying feature. Back in the day, I had used Quicken's Checkfree and had nothing but excellent experiences with it.

So I signed up for Quicken Bill Paying.

Now I see on the drop down menu, two options: BillPay, and Quick pay/Check pay.
    I tried the help system to see what the difference was. But the help system brought me to online links that did not work for me. So that was a dead end.
    Then I tried searching this forum, but found mostly complaints about Quicken's bill payment stuff.
    That's when i decided to ask the question here about the difference.
    Which should I use to pay, for example, the trash/recycling service I use?
    This endeavor to find out what should be such simple information has become quite frustrating …

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

That posting worked. :)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you read posts here on this forum about Quicken’s Quick Pay and Check Pay, you may not want to use either one. Unlike Checkfree, Quicken makes no guarantee about Quick Pay or Check Pay arriving on time and Quicken will not reimburse you for late payments. There are fairly regular posts from Quicken users that there payment was late or never received by the biller.

Quick Pay will login into your biller’s website and initiate the payment for you on the date you specify. Not all billers offer this option and you must provide your username and password for the biller’s website.

Check Pay will print and postal mail the payment to your biller. So you are reliant on how fast the post office can deliver the payment.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank-you for the clear explanation of Check Pay and Quick Pay.

That, and my reading of other comments on this forum, has nudged me to the disabling any Quicken payment service, and to just use the one my bank provides.

btw, do you have any idea what the BillPay option is on the drop down menu? Is that a valid service of Quicken?

Thanks again.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is it possible that, at some point in the past, you have edited the Check# field's list and added the BillPay entry manually? There's that Edit List button. Click it and it'll show you if that's a User defined entry (which you can delete).

If you're not going to use Check Pay or Quick Pay then you should disable that service for your NSB account. Go into Edit Account Details / Online Services tab for the checking account. If the section Online Bill Payment shows "Quicken Bill Manager" with a "Yes", click the blue text in the Action field to disable it.

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply…

Yes, indeed, BillPay was a user-added field. I've used Quicken since 1992, and used Checkfree back in the day. My memory of that long ago is hazy (at best) :). I removed it.

Also, when I click on the blue text under the Action field, I get an error. See attached image.

Do I need to add a "fake" payment in order to delete the service?

Thanks gain for your reply.

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

Another message that did not post when I clicked on Post Comment. -sigh-

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

Long story short (I'm not going to retype the message), after a visit from "unexpected error" I was able to create a dummy check pay entry, and then go to Account Details / Online Services page and remove bill paying capability.

So I'm where I want to be. 'll probably never, ever try to use Quicken's payment services ever again. My great experience with Checkfree has been totally negated by this mess.

Many thanks for those that hung in there with me and helped me to this resolution.

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

OK, long story short, I finally was able to turn off Quicken's Check Pay/Quick Pay service. Whew.

I had to add a dummy payment (I tried to enter into the register, but did intend go online to process), a check to myself.

When I tried to save it that payment, I saw an error message unexpected error.~

But then I went back to Account Details / Online Services page, and I was able to remove the bill paying capability.

So I am all set for now.

Many thanks for those who hung in there and helped me through this little adventure. 😀

• bookcase
    bookcase Member ✭✭
    Options

There are two - Newtown Savings - one generic, and one for CT -

Yeah. NSB just upgraded their software suite. In doing so, one of the emails I received from them was that NSB would no longer support the interfacing of Quicken to their bill payment system, that I would have to use their website or moblie app to use their payment system.

That is why I switched over to Quicken's bill paying feature, I had thought it to be like the old Checkfree that I had had excellent experience with in years gone by.

This new thing that seems to have replaced Checkfree is quite confusing to me — BillPay, Quick pay/Check pay?

I cannot find any info on what that all means, and which one I should use to, for example, pay my trash/recycling service.

When I search this forum for answers I see little besides complains. When I use Quicken's help system, I wind up at links that do not open.

I am very, very frustrated and confused….

This discussion has been closed.