How do I get search results to refresh automatically after I've changed a transaction?

DaveLab
DaveLab Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I think this used to work. It's not currently doing it.

Thoughts?

Dave/Quicken for Windows/ver. R51.12

Tagged:

Best Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@DaveLab I recommend you try the “account” level search in the All Transactions register. Those search results have the transactions filtered by your search term and you can edit the transactions directly.

You can access the All Transactions register from the link at the top of the Account Bar. The Account Bar is typically docked on the left side of the main Quicken window. The “account” level search is at the top of the All Transactions register.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    Answer ✓

@DaveLab as soon as you save the transaction you are editing, the filtering will refresh. All Transactions was added in Q2011. It’s a great feature.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

More details, please.
    Which of the available Search functions are you using? Search box in the register, Global Search box at the top of the Q window, Edit / Find/Replace, a transaction report, other?

• DaveLab

Sorry. Global Search box at the top-right of the Quicken interface. Thanks.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm … if I do a Global Search for, let's say "burger", I get a Search Results dialog.
    Now I select one or more transactions to change in the dialog and click Edit Transactions.
    This gives me a "Find and Replace" dialog where I can make my desired change.
    After Replace, the original Search Results dialog has closed. If I wanted to do more changes, I'll have to start a new Global Search.

What procedure do you use to do your transaction change?

• DaveLab

Try this:

1 Open Quicken for Windows
    2 Type search term into global search box at top-right of interface, hit ENTER
    3 Search Results window opens showing all relevant transactions
    4 Click on the date on one of them, that transaction opens for editing in the account's register (and Search Results window is minimized to lower-left)
    5 Change something in the Memo field and click the floppy SAVE icon at the right end of the transaction display; transaction change is saved
    6 Click on minimized Search Results button at the lower-left to re-open it
    7 Same transaction is still highlighted, but does not reflect the change just made

That's how it works over here, anyway.

FWIW, when I use your approach (selecting a transaction in the Search Results and then clicking the Edit Transaction(s) button, I do get the Find and Replace window (although I don't know why), but I can't make any changes there. I have to click the date to be taken to the transaction in the register (which minimizes the Find and Replace window), where I can then make the change and save it. Clicking on the Find and Replace (minimized) button in the lower left to re-open that window does show the change.

But my method, which seems a little more direct, does not refresh/update the still-open Search Results. I'm not used to such behavior in Quicken.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭

@DaveLab - I understand what you are saying. I have had that happen to me. Unfortunately, the search results need to be closed and reopened to be refreshed.

How I get around this is to create a report with the search criteria. When you click on a transaction in the report to make changes in the register, it seems to update the report "real time". I know using a report as a search tool requires a few more steps, but if you create a report template and reuse it each time, it makes it easier.

• mshiggins
    Answer ✓

@DaveLab I recommend you try the “account” level search in the All Transactions register. Those search results have the transactions filtered by your search term and you can edit the transactions directly.

You can access the All Transactions register from the link at the top of the Account Bar. The Account Bar is typically docked on the left side of the main Quicken window. The “account” level search is at the top of the All Transactions register.

• DaveLab

@QWinUser: Cool workaround, thanks.

@mshiggins: wow, didn't even know there was an All Transactions register. Very cool. I recently moved to the current version from, believe it or not, Quicken 2008. :-) No such thing back in the day. That I was aware of anyway.

I'll have to give that a try. Do those search results refresh automaically?

• mshiggins
    Answer ✓

@DaveLab as soon as you save the transaction you are editing, the filtering will refresh. All Transactions was added in Q2011. It’s a great feature.

• DaveLab

Wow. Changes made right there on the same screen. And, like you said, instant current-criteria display refresh upon saving the transaction change(s). Slick. Thanks!😃

• mshiggins

@DaveLab it is my primary search method. I recommend it often, but It seems to be a little known and underutilized feature.

This discussion has been closed.