Why is my RV Loan Erroneously Reported as Being Paid Off and Why Can't I Access Its Transaction Reg?

Options
craig.
craig. Member ✭✭✭

I had been manually keeping track of my RV loan but then discovered I could download the transactions from my credit union (Eglin Federal), so I activated it for One Step Update. Since then I have had problems accessing the transaction register as Quicken is wrongly reporting the loan as "paid off". Even though, at the top, it shows the current balance. At one time, I was somehow able to revert to being able to see and access the register, but today, it once again lists it as "paid off" and I am unable to access the register, or remember what I did to get to it before.

a) Why does Quicken report it as "paid off" while simultaneously showing an outstanding balance?

b) How do I fix this so I can access the register for this account?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just my 2cents' worth …
    I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage accounts for downloading. I would just simply set them up as "offline" (manual) loan accounts with a Scheduled Reminder to record the monthly payment from your checking account.
    (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here. They should be set up as offline credit card accounts)

At least in Quicken for Windows, an online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead. The category name seems to vary with the Loan Type you selected when creating the loan account in Quicken.

Effective with Quicken Windows 2018 and newer
    you should be able to deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register. And you should also review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category.

If you're a Q Mac user, you should be able to do something similar about setting up and maintaining an offline mortgage account together with a correctly calculated Scheduled Transaction Reminder for the monthly payments from your checking account.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just my 2cents' worth …
    I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage accounts for downloading. I would just simply set them up as "offline" (manual) loan accounts with a Scheduled Reminder to record the monthly payment from your checking account.
    (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here. They should be set up as offline credit card accounts)

At least in Quicken for Windows, an online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead. The category name seems to vary with the Loan Type you selected when creating the loan account in Quicken.

Effective with Quicken Windows 2018 and newer
    you should be able to deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register. And you should also review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category.

If you're a Q Mac user, you should be able to do something similar about setting up and maintaining an offline mortgage account together with a correctly calculated Scheduled Transaction Reminder for the monthly payments from your checking account.

• craig.
    craig. Member ✭✭✭
    Options

"Effective with Quicken Windows 2018 and newer
    you should be able to deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register. And you should also review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category."

Thank you. That might be what I did before to regain view of my register and didn't realize the impact when I reactivated the online services. I have again deactivated the online services and now see my register, although I didn't initially see it immediately after deactivation. My scheduled reminders for the loan payments never disappeared and have always properly reflected the loan account, not category.

This discussion has been closed.