Reconcile Share Balances - dropping transactions

mfstarnes
mfstarnes Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have an issue with one of my investment accounts (with Fidelity) where transactions from about a month earlier are dropping and causing my Quicken balance to be different than Fidelity's amount. I'll manually add the records and next time i sync, i have same issue (not sure if it's the same transactions). I don't have this issue with any of my other accounts (Fidelity or other institutions). do i need to recreate the account? i've tried deactivating and reactivating, but something is definitely abnormal about this account in Quicken. tia

Comments

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any placeholder transactions in your data file?

About Placeholders (Quicken Windows)

"N/A" in certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be deleted and replaced with the correct Buy / Sell / etc. transaction that should have been recorded here.
    For more about Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken) and perform a Contents search for "placeholder".
    Alternatively or in addition to the above, please read https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216694

• mfstarnes

thank you, yes, i've deleted all placeholder transactions as i thought that might be interfering with the holdings. I've been a quicken user for many years and never run into this issue.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Just deleting placeholder transactions and hoping for the problem to magically resolve itself is not going to work. You need to figure what real Buy / Sell / Dividend / Split / etc. transaction is missing and manually enter it.

• mfstarnes

I did enter the transactions manually, and share reconciliation was clear. but after next update, more transactions are missing. very strange behavior

• mfstarnes

I figured out the issue. Quicken was reading new transactions as "Near Match", rather than "New", and I didn't catch that before accepting, so the new (or old) transaction was being ignored/updated. I have to go through each transaction and select Unmatch before accepting. Not sure why this started happening recently, as my activity hasn't changed very much.

thanks for all who responded.

This discussion has been closed.