Why is Quicken adding back shares sold months ago (and how to correct)?

Options
Radler
Radler Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Investing (Windows)

On March 17 I purchased 38.543 shares of a stock in a Fidelity brokerage account. I sold all of those shares on March 23. That is reflected on both the "Closed Positions" page on the Fidelity site and by two ledger entries in Quicken (one for the whole shares, one for the fractional share).

I sold some shares of the same stock on July 13. Specify Lots does not show any shares from the March 17 purchase.

If I check Holdings for any date from March 24 through July 16, zero shares from the March 17 purchase are shown.

I sold additional shares on July 17. Specify Lots for that date shows 23.4262 shares purchased on March 17. Where would those shares be coming from and how should the problem be corrected?

Shares in Holdings matches number on the Fidelity site.

Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm missing some information here.
    If, as you said, you sold some shares on July 13 and some more on July 17 … when did you buy those? Where's the register entry?

Might there be some Placeholder entries lurking in your investment register? If so, these need to be resolved so that you can get the correct numbers.

• Radler
    Radler Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Good point about Placeholder entries. If only that would solve it. But there are none.

The July 13 sale was of shares acquired in 2022, July and December. The Quicken register entry matches the trade confirmation from Fidelity.

The July 17 sale was of shares acquired in December 2022 and 104.05687 shares acquired July 14. I can select the correct number of shares for December 2022 in Specifiy Lots. But Specify Lots shows only 92.8326 shares available for July 14, despite there being no other sales of shares acquired that date.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Radler - suggest file>repair and validate>rebuild investment lots.

once that complete, check each sale and be sure the specific lots are correct.

does that solve it?

March 17 - buy 38.543

March 23 - sell 38,543

Dec, 2022 - buy ???? shares

July 14 - buy 104.05687

July 17 - sell 104.5687 and sell ???????

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ctrl-Z from the transaction list to recompute might also fix it (as the Validate might). You might also see what a Cap Gains report tells you about various sales

If neither of those, I’d be deleting and re-entering prior sales.

• Radler
    Radler Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, Mark1104. I will definitely keep that the Rebuild Investment Lots option in mind. For now, I'm going to live with it. Phantom shares for March 17 and one other date show up in Holdings, but they do not count in the total shares shown in Holdings - which does match Fidelity's figure. I thought I could fix the issue by simply removing the shares for those two dates. Specifiy Lots showed them as available, but when I tried to enter the correction, I got the following message:

"You assigned more shares than are available. You may need to modify earlier Sales to remove their lot assignment."

Not sure how to do that. And, as much as I appreciate your suggestion, I'm not willing to run the risk of having Quicken run Rebuild Investment Lots on every single one of my investment accounts. I don't want to have to go through 16 accounts to make sure Rebuild Investment Lots hasn't created new problems. But I do appreciate your taking the time to suggest a solution. Thanks.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Radler - suggest making a backup copy and THEN rebuilding the lots.. that is always a best practice. In case anything goes sideways, you can always re-load the backup.

• Radler
    Radler Member ✭✭
    Options

I ran "Rebuild Investing Lots." The last entry on the data log for the rebuild is below. My holdings still show two lots that have been completely sold. But the roughly 75 shares purchased on those two dates are not being counted in the total number of shares for that security.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Radler - can you please run an investment transaction report and limit the report to just the one security in question. Do you recognize all the transactions?

How many shares do you currently own? please be exact.

can you please complete this chart. It is a little hard understanding what 75 shares you are referencing:

Dec, 2022 - buy ???? shares

March 17 - buy 38.543

March 23 - sell 38.543

July 14 - buy 104.05687

July 17 - sell 104.5687 and sell ???????

• Radler
    Radler Member ✭✭
    Options

How many shares do you currently own? 260.3072 on August 28 - Quicken and Fidelity totals match. See below for what Quicken shows for holdings today (left) and the lots shown by Fidelity (right). The phantom shares in Quicken are the ones outlined in red, 75.1792 shares purchased on March 17 and April 13. Quicken is showing them, but not counting them in the total of 260.3072. If they were being counted by Quicken, it would show total shares as 335.4864.

The phantom lots are 3/17/23 and 4/13/23.

Dec, 2022 - buy 32.915 on 12/12/22 and sold on 7/17/23; buy 33.120 on 12/23/22 and sold on 7/13/23

March 17 - buy 38.543

March 23 - sell 38.543 (same ones purchased 3/17)

July 14 - buy 104.05687

July 17 - sell 104.5687 purchased on 7/14; also sell 32.915 purchased 12/12/22

You asked me to run an investment report. It shows the purchases on March 17 and April 13 and the complete sales of those positions days later. Here's how that looks for the acquisition and sale of the lot purchased March 17.

q_lurker suggested deleting and re-entering transactions. At this point that may be the only way to fix this. But since Quicken does show the correct overall total number of shares, I think I'll just ride this out.

This discussion has been closed.