Date alignment on check printing is off

Old Q User
Old Q User Member ✭✭

All parts of the check that gets printed are aligned correctly except the date. Is there a way to move the date up or down?

Best Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

UKR-I use 3-per-page business size checks. When setting up the printer, I go to File>Printer Setup>For Printing Checks…>Check Style-Standard Checks>Align Checks>Full Page>Fine Alignment. I changed the vertical number to +10 and all text shifted upward. The date got closer to the line. It's not 100% but for now, it's good enough.

Thanks for your response.
    When you print a full page of checks, with all 3 checks being used, do all three checks print correctly or does the alignment shift with the 2nd and 3rd check?
    That would be an indication that your printer is not configured correctly to default to 8.5*11" standard paper and 100% magnification/reduction factor. Auto-detect paper and photo print options don't work.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11" sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.
    When making a purchase decision for a new supply of check forms and considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Old Q User

I have been buying my checks from Deluxe for Business for about 25 years.

I wonder whether Deluxe changed the position of their date field. Do you have an old check you could compare to a newer check?

Quicken is programmed only for Intuit Quickbooks checks. Those continue to work fine for me.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Old Q User
    Old Q User Member ✭✭

Any help would be appreciated.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you using Wallet Checks as your check stock?
    If so, there are two check styles available for printing Wallet Checks,

• "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", and
    • "Wallet Checks", an old, obsolete format for check stock in use prior to 2006.

Whichever style you have chosen in File / Printer Setup / For printing checks … switch to using the other one. I'm wording my answer this way, because I don't know which style of checks you actually have on hand … the old one or the newer one. So, if the Date field and possibly the numeric amount field are not aligned properly, change to the other style and the problem will be fixed.

When selecting the check style in Printer Setup, you may have to scroll the available options. The selection list may be too small to show all options at a glance.

• Old Q User
    Old Q User Member ✭✭

I am using checks that have 3 checks per page (8 1/2 x 11). The checks are loaded in portrait mode. Each check is 8 1/2" wide and 3 1/2" high so I do not think they are walled checks. All parts of the check - name, address, amount are aligned correctly. The date prints under the line. Hope this clarifies my inquiry.

• Rocket J Squirrel

The date cannot be adjusted separately. Did this start happening recently? Are you using Intuit brand Quickbooks checks?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, what style checks are you really using?
    And what style checks have you defined in Printer Setup / For printing checks?

Printing checks, ordering Quicken-compatible checks from Intuit or other companies

Click File / Printer Setup / For printing checks to select the correct Check Style.
    For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".
    Canadian users need to select between 2 layout styles, e.g., old style "Voucher" vs. new style "Voucher - Image ready".
    You may have to scroll the list of check styles up or down to see all available styles.

Quicken US version only: For a review of Quicken - compatible check styles and perhaps to order new check or envelope supplies, please see https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/checks and https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/envelopes/check-window (the website talks about checks for use with QuickBooks but the same style checks also work with Quicken) or order from any check printing company that offers Quicken/Quickbooks - compatible checks

• Old Q User
    Old Q User Member ✭✭

RJS-thanks for the comment. I did not believe the date field could be changed separately but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I do not print many checks anymore so I can't be sure how long this issue has been going on. I have been buying my checks from Deluxe for Business for about 25 years.

UKR-I use 3-per-page business size checks. When setting up the printer, I go to File>Printer Setup>For Printing Checks…>Check Style-Standard Checks>Align Checks>Full Page>Fine Alignment. I changed the vertical number to +10 and all text shifted upward. The date got closer to the line. It's not 100% but for now, it's good enough.

Thanks to both of you for your help and views.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks for your response.
    When you print a full page of checks, with all 3 checks being used, do all three checks print correctly or does the alignment shift with the 2nd and 3rd check?
    That would be an indication that your printer is not configured correctly to default to 8.5*11" standard paper and 100% magnification/reduction factor. Auto-detect paper and photo print options don't work.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11" sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.
    When making a purchase decision for a new supply of check forms and considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓

@Old Q User

I have been buying my checks from Deluxe for Business for about 25 years.

I wonder whether Deluxe changed the position of their date field. Do you have an old check you could compare to a newer check?

Quicken is programmed only for Intuit Quickbooks checks. Those continue to work fine for me.

• I cannot correct the alignment using the usual method (printer setup for checks). Did something change in the recent update?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please start a new discussion, separate from this one and give us all the pertinent details so we can keep your discussion separate from this one.
    What Check style are you using? Wallet (Check 21), Wallet (old style), Standard, Voucher
    Are you trying to print a Full sheet of 3 checks per page or a partial page?
    Why does adjustment of alignment not work for you?

Please snap a photo of a misprinted check sheet (on check stock), black out all the personal information (your address, bank name, MICR code line) and attach the image to your comment.

• Old Q User
    Old Q User Member ✭✭

I am going to close this discussion. Thanks to everyone who gave me their suggestions.

This discussion has been closed.