System Member admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

See Quicken red logo then doesn't start

Tagged:

Comments

• MarcCBR
    MarcCBR Member
    Options

I'm having a similar problem. I click to start Quicken, see the splash banner, then… nothing. The program is running - the indicator is lit under the Quicken icon on the Windows 11 taskbar, and the program shows in Task Manager, but the Quicken software UI never appears.

Starting Quicken with "CTRL-SHIFT" held down eventually results in a dialog showing the following error: "Quicken does not support the option 'Run as Administrator.' Using this option may cause you to have problems printing or other issues." I continued to hold down "CTRL-SHIFT" and clicked "OK", which was the only option on this dialog. No change.

I'm using Windows Defender as my security solution and turned off both the anti-virus and firewall components. Doing so had no effect on the behavior in either case: starting normally or starting with "CTRL-SHIFT" held down.

I have no interface with the Quicken software. I can't run an update to fix whatever bug you folks have.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What happens if you set the date on your computer to a date before the issue started occurring, then try to open Quicken?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jerry8838
    jerry8838 Member
    Options

same issue they say it is a windows thing i DON'T agree.

rendering my computer useless

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

This sounds like a problem that has been around for some 20 years or so, namely: the Quicken window is positioned off the screen. I suppose the Quicken window could be off-screen in any direction (up, down, right or left); but in my experience when this situation occurs, Quicken has always been off the bottom of the screen.

Fortunately it's easy to "move" the Quicken window back on screen

Hold down SHIFT+CTRL while right-clicking the Quicken icon in the Windows taskbar. That should present a menu that includes the choices "Restore" and "Move" (among others). The Quicken window must be in the "Restore" state in order to get access to the "Move" choice.  [If the option to "Restore" is available; the option to "Move" is not available - one must click "Restore" to get access to "Move".]

When the Move option is clicked, the keyboard arrow keys will be available to "move" the Quicken window. If, for example, the Quicken window is off the bottom of the screen, using the Up arrow will move the Quicken window on screen.

Once the Quicken Title bar is visible on screen, the Quicken window can be moved and resized just as any other window.

I have no idea what causes the Quicken window to be positioned off screen (though I suspect it has to do with decisions made by Intuit decades ago), so I can't offer any suggestion for preventing the problem from occurring. The problem used to occur more often, but for many years now it has been reported fairly rarely. 

I doubt seriously that a newer release of Quicken will cure the aforementioned problem. 

But FYI: it is not necessary to have Quicken running to update Quicken to a newer release. Quicken can be updated to a newer release when Quicken is not running at all; so the fact that the Quicken window is off-screen should not interfere with upgrading to a newer Quicken release.

When a newer Quicken release is available to a user, that release can be downloaded from here: . After downloading the release, the downloaded release .exe file can be "run" (when Quicken is NOT running), which will be update Quicken to that release. https://tinyurl.com/ch3t7y3v

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.