How to restore alignment of balances in sidebar? (Q Mac)

Options
dougcurrie
dougcurrie Member ✭✭

Lately the balances in my sidebar are no longer right aligned:

This is in all sections of the sidebar. Is anyone else seeing this? Or know how to fix it?

In a support chat Quicken Support suggested restoring a backup from a while ago, but this seems pretty drastic and I don't get why it would help.

Tagged:

Answers

• dougcurrie
    dougcurrie Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, restoring a backup actually worked… strange. It would still be nice if there was a less drastic option.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2023
    Options

First questions: Are you on current QMac v7.2.1? What version of macOS are you running?

I'm not seeing this issue in my Quicken. All the amounts in the sidebar are neatly right-justified.

For standard troubleshooting, you should restart the computer. Also, try collapsing then expanding the sidebar and see if that resolves the glitch. You might also try clicking the three dot (…) icon atop the sidebar and changing some settings such as displaying cent and see if that fixes it.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • dougcurrie
    dougcurrie Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, RickO,

My issue was resolved by restoring a backup (costing me 20 minutes of data entry), so I'm just wondering if there's an easier way for other folks.

I'm using QMac Version 7.2.1 on macOS 13.5

e

• RickO
    Options

Moot point now, but I would guess it was a glitch that one of the suggestions I made (collapse/expand or change settings) would have fixed as well. Too late now to know. Glad you got it resolved.

• dougcurrie
    dougcurrie Member ✭✭
    Options

I did try changing settings (cents/no cents, group & subgroup totals, etc.) and that didn't help. Resizing sidebar didn't help.

I did not try collapsing/expanding sidebar.

• RickO
    Options

When I was trying to replicate this, I tried changing number format settings in macOS System Settings (which is what Quicken uses for it number format). I noticed that the number format did not change until I collapsed and expanded the sidebar. That seems to be what forces a complete re-draw.

• dougcurrie
    dougcurrie Member ✭✭
    Options

An update… the issue resurfaced after updating with a couple weeks of transactions after a vacation. I am not sanguine about restoring a backup. If anyone knows a better solution, I'd love to hear it. I did try collapse/expand after a few settings changes, and after changing system number settings. No joy.

• RickO
    Options

You might want to try creating a new test file and populate it with a few accounts and transactions. See if the problem exists. That would tell you if it's system/Quicken-wide or something about your specific data file.

You might also try saving a backup and restoring that to a new file (not messing with your original file) and see if that does anything.

Finally, you could try exporting to a QXF file and then importing that into a new file. See if the problem still exists.

• dougcurrie
    dougcurrie Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, quitting and restarting Quicken realigned the numbers. It looks to be a transient thing.

• dougcurrie
    dougcurrie Member ✭✭
    Options

Today I noticed exactly when it goes wrong: immediately after a Update All Accounts (activated with the button in the upper left of the sidebar) just as downloads complete, the sidebar is redrawn removing the progress report. At this redraw the amounts are no longer aligned, and remain skewed until restarting Quicken.

BTW, I find it mildly annoying that the downloads progress report moves all the accounts in the sidebar down, and then back up when complete. More than once I've clicked the wrong account during one of the transitions.

• RickO
    Options

Interesting. I can't replicate this. Have you tried changing the width of the sidebar (prior to the update accounts) just a bit to see if that has any affect?

I also find that progress bar at the top of the sidebar annoying. I wish they'd allow us to turn it off or move it somewhere else, like the top of the main window pane.

• dougcurrie
    dougcurrie Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, RickO; I tried a few times to Quit, Launch, adjust sidebar width slightly, Update All Accounts, and got the misaligned account balances every time.

This discussion has been closed.