I cannot recategorize or retag transactions from report

Options
ks426
ks426 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I have always been able to "right click" in a report (for a single transaction or multiple transactions) and Recategorize Transactions, Retag Transactions, Rename Payees or Edit Memos. Those options are greyed out and I cannot select them. I have to go into each transaction to do any of these functions. This bug was supposedly fixed in the August 2023 update, but I have the update installed and I still cannot do this.

Please fix this!!! Downloaded transactions do not always categorize correctly or are uncategorized. I need to be able to select multiple transactions from a report and recategorize all at the same time. It is too time consuming to do this for every individual transaction.

I have validated and super validated my file.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First, let's verify that you are using the latest Quicken software release, R 51.12 (US) or R 51.11 (Canada).

For me, using an otherwise uncustomized Banking / Transactions report, the Recategorize and Retag functions are available.
    If you are reusing an old Saved Report, created in an older version of Quicken, try selecting the Customize gear icon and click "Reset Columns".
    If that doesn't work, try recreating this report from scratch. An Itemized Categories report might be good starting point.

As to downloaded transactions not always categorizing correctly …
    Are these transactions downloaded into investment account registers or bank transaction registers?
    For bank transactions, do you have a properly categorized entry for this transaction in the Memorized Payee List?
    If not, create one. Mark the entry as "Locked" ("Lock and leave … unchanged …) to prevent unintentional changes.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I cannot tell from the screenshot what type of account these transactions are in. Nor do the existing categories show which makes diagnosis more difficult. Investment accounts have limitations as to what transactions can be retagged and recategorized.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"This bug was supposedly fixed ...."

The issue displayed in the original post screen shot is not that old bug -  that old bug HAS been fixed.

The old bug allowed the user to select "Recategorize transaction(s)"  (that is: the choice to "Recategorize" was NOT grayed out).  However, Quicken would not actually make the recategorization  specified by the user.

The image in the original post here shows that the option to  "Recategorize transaction(s)" (along with other options)  is not available (it's grayed out).  That's a different issue than the old bug.

Consider: 

If at least one of the selected report transactions  is a split transaction; the options to  Recategorize, Retag and Edit Memos will be grayed out.

If at least one of the selected report transactions  is an investment-type transaction; the options to  Recategorize, Retag, Edit Memos, AND Rename Payee(s) will be grayed out. 

Since the image displayed in the original post has "Rename Payee(s)" grayed out,  my best guess is that (at least) one of the selected report transactions  is an investment-type transaction.

"I need to be able to select multiple transactions from a  report and recategorize all at the same time."

It's not necessary to use a Quicken report to make mass  changes to Quicken transactions.  

If all the transactions to be changed are in one Quicken account  register, mass changes can be made in that register; otherwise,  if the transactions to be changed are in multiple account  registers, the mass change can be made in the  "All Accounts" pseudo-register. 

Select the desired register transactions as one would select  multiple files in Windows Explorer  (or as one would select multiple transactions in a Quicken report),  right-click a selected transaction and choose "Edit transaction(s)".

The resulting "Find and Replace" dialog permits changing all, or some,  of the originally selected transactions at one time.  Even better: that dialog permits making changes to split transactions.

Mass changing in a register/pseudo-register works now, and it worked  even when the old bug prevented mass changes from reports.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.