American Express Downloads Not Working

Options
sfmng
sfmng Member ✭✭

Have been experiencing issues for days. 2 out of 3 accounts. Tried authorize/re-authorized and reset connection. Spoke with Amex and they said everything is good on their end and their troubleshooting stops at authorize/re-authorize. Contacted Quicken support and went through the authorize/re-authorize, disconnect online and re-add account. It says the account is connected, but it will not download current or historical transactions. Quicken support had me manually download QFX file to populate historical and said it should be okay. Checked today and still not working. The two accounts that don't work is not displaying the "online balance". That is the only visual indicator that I've noticed different between working and non-working accounts. I even went the "nuclear route" and unregistered my cards from online management on Amex site and re-registered them under a new Amex User ID, re-added the accounts via Quicken and same problem. So….I give up.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If any of these accounts are still showing "activated" (in Edit Account Details / Online Services tab) deactivate the accounts first.
    Now please try setting up your AmEx credit card accounts again, but use Tools / New Account to perform the process.
    When you follow instructions and get to the AmEx website showing a list of accounts be sure to click each account to give it a checkmark in the box on the left. (If you skip past this step, error "no accounts found" will be waiting for you later on)
    When back in Quicken follow instructions to activate accounts.
    In the list of accounts found be sure to "Link" accounts to their correct Quicken account registers or you will create new account registers. Yes, click on the Link button, follow the popups to ensure, e.g., card -1234 is correctly linked to Quicken register for card 1234.

• sfmng
    sfmng Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks but I did that 2x. 1x on my own and another with Quicken support. I think Quicken is acknowledging a problem with Amex DL's. Fingers crossed they find out what's going on and fix it soon.

• sharpwls
    sharpwls Member ✭✭
    Options

having the same problem here,

• Jmarcelia
    Jmarcelia Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue since Nov 7, 2023, have deactivated and reactivated numerous times.

Also loaded in the 2 AMEX cards as new accounts and those will not download.

Interestingly when I sync only AMEX accounts it says complete but no data at all.

• sfmng
    sfmng Member ✭✭
    Options

Possible solution to Amex & Chase DL issues. While troubleshooting my Amex DL, I noticed that my Amex Bus account successfully reconnected when I classified it as a "Personal" account versus a "Business" account. I did this with my remaining non-functional Amex bus card download and now it appears to be working also. Transactions downloaded and the "Online Balance" reappeared along with the "Last Download" in the Account List going from "Not Available" to showing the last DL date/time. We'll see in the coming days if this works.

• sfmng
    sfmng Member ✭✭
    Options

BTW, my Chase Business account was also broken and missing transaction DL's, not showing "Online Bal", and "Last DL" showing Not Avail. I did hte same with the broken Chase accounts and now appears to be reconnected again also.

• sfmng
    sfmng Member ✭✭
    Options

This is what I did…

1.) Account Details|Online Services. Deactivated online connnection.

2.) Account Details|General. Deleted Financial Institution & Account Number.

3.) Account Details|Display Option. Account Intent. Changed from "Business" to "Personal" Note: All my disfunctional DL account were under "Business".

4.) Went to the credit card website and deauthorized 3rd party access for Quicken.

5.) Tools|Add Account. Re-add account

6.) Account Details|Display Option. Account Intent. Changed from "Personal" to "Business".

The Online Balance re-appeared in the broken accounts. The "Last Download" now shows last download date/time instead of "Not Available". I don't know if this is a fix. Need to wait until I have new transactions to DL.

• Veggi77
    Veggi77 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Same here. Been over a month. Currently researching other programs. Just downloaded the update from today as well and yet again, get the write error when backing up. I've been patient trying to delete account info, readd/relink/reauthorize over and over to no avail. Chase and Amex especially. The backup issues have been ongoing and seem to coincide with every update I download. I know it can take time when dealing with a software product as large as this with so many different financial institutions. Even my beginning bank balances keep changing. Those should NEVER be written to change in the program code ever by the program itself. Found out the pending transactions were changing my beginning balance. Then staying there. Had to back into the changed beginning amount for the past three months to continue to correct it. I don't think I've had so many bank linking issues since I've used Quicken since I have in the past year. I appreciate what the software staff does to correct the bugs, but this year is something else for bugs.

• bullmoon
    bullmoon Member ✭✭
    Options

I have two Amex CC accounts I had set up as Business - they have been like that for several years. Today I noticed neither showed an online balance. No amount of resetting the accounts solved the problem. But I did notice my Personal CCs were fine. So, I switched these to Personal and did an online update and the Online Balance is back. This gets the online balance back, but making these cards Personal vs Business is not a good long term fix.

First this FNBO problem and now AMEX. What's up with Quicken lately - seems like a lot of issues sync'ing with banks - wrong balances, no balance, missing transactions, etc. I appreciate all the little updates and new features, but if the basics don't work, that's not great.

• arkotulak71
    Options

Also having this problem with Business accounts. I agree with @Bullman, I've been using Quicken over 20 years but lately its nothing but constant problems the last few years. I'm wasting too much time troubleshooting.

• sfmng
    sfmng Member ✭✭
    Options

My broken Amex accounts are downloading again. Setting up the business accounts as personal accounts appear to work. You can move them back to business after setup and the workaround appears to stick. One thing to note is, if you want to change the name of the account, do it while it's classified as personal account. If you do it while classified as a business account the name change will not stick. Now, I need to wait for Chase transactions to see if Chase DL's works again.

I've been using Quicken since MS Money went kaput but I've been looking for alternatives also. Annoyed with all the issues, especially with DL's. Too much time consumed dealing with problems.

This discussion has been closed.