quicken won't launch tried it all

Options
LPT
LPT Member

I'm on Quicken Classic Windows; quicken won't launch after the upgrade that added the classic logo (sept 23 I think). Quicken flashes for a couple seconds then nothing. Have tried every remedy that I have read about on line, and as advised by quicken support. I'm a long time user 30 years. It has been 2 months since Quicken Support was called. I call weekly to hear that the problem is still being worked on. Now close to end of year this is a real problem. I've tried everything as I've said, including reinstalls, reinstalling the versions that worked before that Sept release as far back as June 23. This looks to be or have been a common problem. This isn't anything I can find that I haven't tried. I can only assume Quicken has so many cases like this that I'm not hearing anything from them. Are there others waiting for them to fix this?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try this workaround:
    Before starting Quicken Pause OneDrive (there should be an icon in the Taskbar)
    Run Quicken
    Close Quicken when you're done using it at the end of the day. Let Quicken create backups of your data file while it's shutting down.
    Resume OneDrive

• LPT
    LPT Member
    Options

I don’t have one drive app on my pc. There is a one drive file but nothing in it since 5 years ago.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you sure?
    Microsoft OneDrive comes with all Windows versions, ever since Windows 8, or maybe even before that.
    Only big difference is: In recent software updates to Windows 10 and 11, OneDrive now has been activated, to run in the background and to process all files in a user's folders, like Documents, Pictures, etc. even if the user has never explicitly configured it.

This new activity has been found to interfere with Quicken operations.

What version and update level of Windows are you using?

• LPT
    LPT Member
    Options

Windows 10 Home. 22H2

I definitely don’t have Onedrive application deleted long ago. Must have had once as you say since I have a Onedrive folder with only a PowerPoint presentation guide file 5 years old in it. Repeated calls to quicken only lead me to believe this is a problem for many users that launching crashes.

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

This is old article but you may want to be sure you deleted all the folders including any that say Quicken instead of Intuit as in instructions.

Then restart computer and reinstall Quicken for a true clean install.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210510044051/https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Looks like we can exclude OneDrive as a potential culprit.

Have you thought about your Quicken data file being the culprit? It could have suffered from data file damage.
    So, after reinstalling Quicken please do the following:

• Reboot Windows.
    • Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually your file is located in your C:\Users_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.

If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
    • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
    • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• LPT
    LPT Member
    Options

Thanks, tried both suggestions no luck. 2 1/2 months now without quicken, killer at end of year. Support tells me the same old crap, working on it and will let me know.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken? You could also try creating a new Windows user account and running Quicken from there.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • LPT
    LPT Member
    Options

thanks for the advice from everyone. Tried it all , all the fixes I could find . Decided it must be a windows problem so tried all the windows remedies but no luck. So I did a reinstall of windows and what do you know quicken works.

This discussion has been closed.