Quicken Crashes and locks file

Options

This has been happening every 6-8 weeks for me for the past year or so now. When opening Quicken for Windows, it appears to crash - the window just closes and disappears, with no error messages or anything. When I try to restart it, it cannot open my data file because the file is locked. I've tried a number of methods to "unlock" the file, but nothing works. The only workaround I've found that has allowed me to access my data is to make a copy of the data file, and then open the copy.

This just seems like some really bad design. My quicken file is saved on the local disk to Quicken, and I've even moved it into a folder off of my root (C:\work), to ensure it's not being touched by OneDrive or any other permissions or processes.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue before, with Quicken locking their data files such that they cannot be unlocked? I'm running Windows 10, fwiw.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know why Quicken crashes. Have you tried booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken? You can try IObit Unlocker to unlock the data file.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.