Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load

Options

I use my copy of Quicken only once a month so I seem to always have updates when I start. Last update listed below. As of 12/1/23 will not update/start.

My wife's Quicken on same hardware used weekly works fine.

Tried completely uninstalling my VPN with REVO Uninstaller(2 recs). No spaces in my win ID (July community rec). Tried MONDO but receive the same server error. Have not tried reinstalling Quicken yet.

I assume this is unrelated: I installed TurboTax 2023 in early December and it will not start at all!

Windows 10 all updates to 12/2023. Current version R52.20 Build 27.1.52.20. Quicken has been installed for many years.

Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In case of Patch installation error "Server file failed to load … Index and length …"

please follow instructions here: https://www.quicken.com/support/patch-error-unable-check-updates-server-file-failed-load

If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys", the problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are located in a folder named, for example,
    "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John and Doe)
    you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new account to install or update Quicken. Afterwards return to using your regular Windows User Account for running Quicken and doing all other work, as usual.

If the user name is not the cause, try to enable and use the hidden Administrator account.
    See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/ how to do that. Supposed to work in all Windows versions.

At your next migration to a new Windows version I recommend changing the username to remove the blank space. It appears to be a holdover from old Windows versions using the obsolete "Documents and Settings" folder structure.

• DrOldies
    DrOldies Member
    Options

Neither "admin" accounts worked. Still cannot connect to the server. Has anyone tried uninstalling/reinstalling Quicken for this problem?

This discussion has been closed.