Subscription pricing

Options
AllanP
AllanP Member ✭✭

So you change the name to Classic Deluxe, and then a few months later you raise the price. Again. I got an email this week about the upcoming price increase. This is the second price increase since 2022. If I hadn't been a user since 1990, and there aren't a lot of good alternatives, I would be seriously thinking of opting out of the subscription.

Comments

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

And there lies the rub.

With few / no real options and a long history of data we are stuck.

Worth noting, there are a few here who stuck to older versions and forgo the online capability.

You can always do that!

• fun1000000
    fun1000000 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Office Depot has it for $35.99

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good to know (depending on teh version one needs).

Thanks for sharing.

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not for Canadian users and this thread is posted under "All Things Canadian".

• BRR
    BRR Member ✭✭
    Options

Dec 27 I receive the email below stating my autorenewal date for CDN Quicken for Windows was Jan 7, 2024 so I'd be charged $4.99/month with the 2024 renewal and the $5.99/month would come into effect with my Jan 2025 renewal because the price increase comes into effect Jan 25, 2024. Yet I was charged $71.88 ($5.99/month).

Used the chat support, was told they couldn't adjust the price and supervisors weren't available via chat. I was told to phone to speak with a supervisor and was told there was no toll free number from Canada.

Hoping someone here can help.

Hi Quicken User,

Thanks for using Quicken — we’re glad you’re here.

We’re reaching out to let you know about an upcoming price change for Quicken Classic Deluxe. On January 25, 2024, the current price of $4.99 per month will become $5.99.

Because subscriptions are billed annually, the new price won’t affect you until 01/07/2025 which will be your first renewal date after the change.

At that time, your payment method on file will be charged the new rate.

At Quicken, our goal is to make sure your personal finance software remains second to none — with a best-in-class experience that delivers far more value than the price.

If you have any questions, please visit the FAQ page for more information.

Sincerely,
    Your Quicken Team

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@BRR you can contact Quicken using @ 1-888-311-7276.

• BRR
    BRR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Joel.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    Options

You bet! Any time!

Good luck.

• BRR
    BRR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Joel.

The initial response was he checked and said $71.88 was the correct current price for CDN Deluxe. When I read the email to him, he said the email was wrong - the current price is $71.88 ($5.99/month not $4.99 as stated in Quicken's email) and effective Jan 25, 2024 the price will be $83.88 ($6.99/month not $5.99 as stated in the email). [I subscribed Jan 7, 2023 for $43.13, so I don't know what the current price is.] He said he couldn't offer a discount and I was being charged the correct amount. He couldn't answer why if the Quicken email was wrong, they didn't follow-up with a correction email. I asked to speak with a supervisor because Quicken wasn't standing by its email. He was reluctant to do so and checked and said no supervisor was available. The call lasted almost an hour, with increasingly long periods on hold as he repeatedly consulted with his support team, and he seemed surprised I was remaining on the line. At the end he offered to cancel my subscription and refund the $71.88, which seems to sum up Quicken's attitude to customer support.

• AllanP
    AllanP Member ✭✭
    Options

Interesting, because here is the excerpt from the email I got on Dec 28:

"We’re reaching out to let you know about an upcoming price change for Quicken Classic Deluxe. On January 25, 2024, the current price of $5.99 per month will become $6.99.

Because subscriptions are billed annually, the new price won’t affect you until 09/14/2024 which will be your first renewal date after the change. "

That is correct as my renewal last Sept was $71.88.

So not sure why your previous price was still $4.99/mth

This discussion has been closed.