INVESTMENT BUY SELL REPORT

Options
Ram
Ram Member ✭✭

Hello

I live in Canada and use Canadian version of Quicken. My question does not affect us/ canada

I like to create a report of my buy/ sell securities for a given year. Investment transaction report report includes realized gain/ loss. I want total amount of sell.

This report i need for my income taxes.

How can I do this

Thanks a million

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Best I can offer (and less than ideal):

• From each account, Ctrl-P to print the register
    • Specify the time frame
    • Print button
    • Choose to export to a csv file
    • Export button
    • Name and folder to save to; Save
    • Open saved csv file in Excel
    • Select and Sort by appropriate columns
    • Delete unwanted transaction lines
    • Do any other desired customization
    • “Print” the report

• Ram
    Ram Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your help

Yes this method will do.

However, it creates lot of un necessary transactions.

I need this report for incometax purpose Canada / Quebec report T5008/ Rel 18

I was hoping for a standard quicken report.

Thanks agian

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 16
    Options

@Ram I think you can create a customized investment transaction report to show just buy and sell transactions. Click on the "Action" tab and choose all the appropriate "bought" and "sold" actions. The resulting report will show all buys and sells, with realized gain. You can find the total sale amount by adding the gain/loss to the cash amount.

Since you are on the Canadian version, I am not sure if you have a Capital Gains report? That report will show you the total amount of the sell.

• Ram
    Ram Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your help

Yes I can create a report with investment transactions. I was looking for a customized report. Quicken should provide such reports which most of Canadians with investments have to file each year.

In my case I am looking for a report to also include all bought transactions even if they are not sold. Capital gain report will not help.

Thanks again for all your help

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I like to create a report of my buy/ sell securities for a given year.
    Investment transaction report includes realized gain/ loss.
    I want total amount of sell.
    In my case I am looking for a report to also include all bought transactions even if they are not sold.
    Capital gain report will not help.

You are asking for different things - all in the same report -
    some nits - like the BUY/SELL may not be straight forward …. as which "shares/lots" were actually sold in the real world ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ram
    Ram Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your reply

Yes that is what i need for my income taxes

i do not understand why buy/sell is not straight forward. If you are referring to multiple purchases - In Canada we use average cost not first-in-first-out like USA.

Thanks for your help

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ram

I need this report for income tax purpose Canada / Quebec report T5008/ Rel 18

I was hoping for a standard quicken report.

Quicken should provide such reports which most of Canadians with investments have to file each year.

In my case I am looking for a report to also include all bought transactions even if they are not sold. Capital gain report will not help.

I certainly can't speak to the needs of Canadian tax filers, but this is the first I have heard of this type of request or need.

Speaking from the US side, I could see value in having all the buys for a year established to work in conjunction with securities sold for a loss. Such a comparison could better identify wash sale situations. In my case your question led me to create a 'buy shares' report by security to compare with a basic cap gains report subtotaled by security thereby allowing me to compare dates of purchases against sales for a loss. Does this describe your need for the buys in addition to the sells?

If that is what Canada wants you identifying - wash sales or 'bed and breakfast sales' in a UK nomenclature, I don't see Quicken providing this in a single report. The demand is too minimal. Again from the US side, I suspect more than 99% of the investment oriented filers rely on the FIs to identify wash sale circumstances and the taxpayers look no further. Day traders may be an exception.