Quicken updates don't finish

Options
vinboston
vinboston Member ✭✭

It has been at least a month (probably more but I lost track) since the update function finishes correctly. When I do updates,

1. it seems to never finish
  2. Freezes my quicken window which requires me to use Task Manager to kill/clsoe the app and re-open
  3. once re-opened, it appears transactions have been downloaded, but the "last updated date" that shows up underneath the name on many of my accounts is now blank

Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• vinboston
    vinboston Member ✭✭
    Options

When I run Validate & Repair - the Validate window is stuck open with the green bar and NEVER finishes. I left it for hours and eventually had to use Task Manager to kill Quicken app in order to regain control.

• vinboston
    vinboston Member ✭✭
    edited April 3
    Options

i also suspect it has to do with certain companies for updates - meaning in the One Step Update window when it's stuck - about half the accounts show "Complete" in black, but about half the accounts show "Complete" in Green - i think the ones in Green are the issue.

When I do individual one step udpates - i.e. only update for one account - it works for those that had shown as black but not the ones that show as green..

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If Validate does not finish within a few minutes, your Quicken data file may be damaged beyond the repair capabilities built into Quicken. In that case, you need to restore your data file from a backup taken before the problem first occurred.

BTW, what is the drive letter and complete path to your data file folder?
    External drives, USB or networked drives are not supported as the location of your active data file. (But you may store the backup file copies on these external storage devices)

Does Microsoft OneDrive process the files in this folder?
    If so, you need to configure OneDrive to not access your Quicken data files at all.
    Or you need to move the Quicken folder to a folder location on an internal hard drive which is outside of OneDrive's control. OneDrive's attempts to backup your data file while Quicken is running interfere with Quicken operations. This also applies to other network backup services like Dropbox, etc.

This discussion has been closed.