How to correct a mismatched security

Options

In the Edit Security window the Match an online security field is blank and whited out so it can't be changed. Does anyone know why? I'm trying to match two holdings in Fidelity that Quicken doesn't recognize so it gives me placeholder notices.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your subject header mentions "mismatched". That implies some security held in the Fidelity account is matched to the wrong security on your Quicken file. To fix that part you need to determine matching does exist - real world security to the wrong Quicken security. Once you have identified that error, you undo that match by unchecking the "Matched" box for the Quicken security. The Tools / Online Center can help with that determination since it reports the shares held by the brokerage and the Quicken security name description.

Once the mismatch is removed, you should be able to create the correct match via the same Online center, or your next download.

• Teresa Kottcamp
    Teresa Kottcamp Member ✭✭
    Options

I am using the correct Symbols NTRS and D in Quicken. Quicken doesn't allow me to match nor decouple a match because the field is not enabled in the EDIT SECURITY WINDOW and the box is NOT checked. I can download quote info into Quicken but Quicken doesn't recognize dividend income from Fidelity. How do I get Quicken to recognize actual Fidelity transactions for these two securities?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Decoupling a match is possible (only possible and always possible) if the box for the Quicken security details "Matched with online security" is checked. If it is checked you can always uncheck it.

When the box is checked, you should also see the CUSIP ID information in the Security List (Ctrl-Y) for that security. That is the basis for the match. Your financial institution (FI) sends the CUSIP ID, you confirm the match to a specific security in your list, and Quicken applies that CUSIP ID to that security.

When your FI sends a security (with a CUSIP ID) that does not match up (based on CUSIP ID) to one in your security list, you should get a pop-up like the one below. You can also get this through the Tools / Online Center / FI / Holdings tab / Compare to Portfolio path. You can also get this via account transaction list, gear icon / Reconcile Shares.

Note that at the top is the security name as provided by the FI { CME GROUP INC (CME), all caps } and the CUSIP they sent (12572Q105). Quicken is suggesting from my Security List that my Quicken security 'CME Group Inc' (not all caps) might be the right match. If I wanted to change that selection, to another security currently in my list (like the CME security), I could do so. I could also switch to the "No" option and have Quicken create a new security in my security list to match up with the FI's security. Once I click "Done", my 'CME Group Inc' security gets that CUSIP ID associated to it, and the box gets checked.

There are cases where Quicken will take the FI's information and create or match the securities without user control. To the best of my knowledge, that only occurs when an online-connected account is first created.