Changing name of investment account and linked cash account

Options

Getting the error: "You cannot reconcile or update the balance of a CMA-linked investment account, because it's cash balance is always zero. To reconcile the cash balance, go to the linked bank account." Windows version on parallels on a MAC. Current version of windows Quicken.

Because hackers tried to access my Fidelity accounts at Fidelity, Fidelity has changed the logon and the account numbers and then transferred all investments to the new accounts. So in Quicken I changed the names to the investment accounts and the linked cash accounts after stopping the downloading process on all accounts. I then relinked the original accounts with the new names to the proper accounts at Fidelity, The first download got all the transfers which I deleted, Now the system seems to work, but gives the error listed when new transactions are added to the accounts, The transactions are added properly and also transferred to the proper cash accounts. So the numbers are correct except that I ignore the error. This was done to preserve my history on the accounts. What is a CMS-linked account? ANd how can I see what account is linked to the investment account on Quicken. Since my changing the name did not unlink the cash account, I assume it is linked by something other than the name. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Comments

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 1
    Options

@Lasleyma - in your investment account, go to the Online Services tab of Account Details and uncheck "Reconcile using online balance".

If that checkbox is not there, then go to the linked cash account and uncheck that box.

CM usually means Cash Management but not sure what the S stands for.

• Lasleyma
    Lasleyma Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the comment. I tried this and had several accounts with the "Reconcile using online balance" checked. After I unchecked the boxes, so far i had had np further errors. I don't understand why this is a problem, but the solution seema to work.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Lasleyma glad it worked. Long story short your issue is a result of two products or features "not playing nice" with each other. Sometime in the past they did an enhancement to the investment auto reconciliation feature but didn't take into consideration investment accounts with a linked checking account.