I just started getting a Your Disk is Out of Space error. I am using Quicken Classic Canadian edition version 868.32 and build 27.1.68.32. I back up locally to a 1 Tb drive and it has plenty of space. Any idea what is causing this?
Thanks..
Bob
Here is what Grok says:
The most common cause is low free space on your system (usually C:) drive, not the 1 TB backup drive. Quicken’s “Your Disk is Out of Space” / “Your backup disk is out of space” message is often misleading. Even when you select an external or secondary drive for the backup, Quicken still needs temporary working space on the drive that holds Windows, the Quicken program, and/or your active data file (typically C:).
This has been reported many times in the Quicken community: people see the error while targeting a large external drive, only to discover their primary/system drive was nearly full (sometimes just a few GB free). A large data file (or one with many attachments) makes the temporary space requirement bigger.
Your version (868.32 / build 27.1.68.32) corresponds to a recent Canadian release (around R68.32), so the issue is almost certainly the space/temp-folder problem rather than a version-specific bug.
Start by freeing space on C: and cleaning temp folders—that resolves it for most people who see this exact error while backing up to a large external drive. If it still happens after that, note the exact full error text, where your data file lives, how much free space is on C: vs. the 1 TB drive, and the size of your .QDF file; that will narrow it further.
Crwalejr, Thanks for your feedback. My C: drive (where Quicken and the data exists) has over 500 GB of data on a 1 Tb drive. So I don't think that would be the problem. But when I checked the backup disk, it indeed was full. I am not sure why I thought it had plenty of space. I cleaned it up a little and did a manual back up successfully. Thanks. I think the problem is that I am also using that disk for File Backup and I think it consumed all the space.