Schwab money market dividends not reinvested

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)

Hi —

I’m hoping this helpful community can help me once again.

When downloading from Schwab, Schwab’s monthly dividend - which is automatically reinvested - downloads as only a dividend. I have to create a corresponding “buy” transaction every month for every account - ugh. 

This doesn’t happen with any other security. 

It’s not a major problem, but it’s been going on for many many versions - is this something I can fix?

This has been going happening over many many versions but in this case I’m running Quicken 2016 Premier Version R14 Build 25.1.14.5

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Just curious...why maintain your money market as a separate security? I just keep it as cash for each of my accounts and it works fine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thank you, and that's an interesting idea. The only issue is see that is in very rare instances I end up with a bit of actual cash in the account. So I might use this as a workaround.

But this should still just work - every other security in those accounts downloads reinvested dividends just fine - including other money market funds. I have a hunch that it's related to the fact that they are sweep accounts and that the problem may be on Schwab's side. But it's hard to imagine that there aren't man others who find correcting this every month unnecessarily tedious.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I typically change the dividend to a reinvest dividend transaction.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The problem is with what Schwab is sending, not what Quicken is doing.
    Only Schwab can change it.

Quicken can't make up transactions just because some users want this or that.

To do it properly Schwab should be sending a reinvest transaction, or at least a dividend and a buy transaction.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Try waiting an extra day after downloading the first "Div" transaction. What's the behavior on the second day after the first transaction shows up?

And QPW is correct on Schwab, its on them and not on Q.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mshiggins said:

I typically change the dividend to a reinvest dividend transaction.

I do the opposite. Personal preference. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/when-running-the-standard-investment-performance...
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    jr7107 - There's no difference. :-( 

It makes sense that the root cause of this is with Schwab. But given what I assume is a huge overlap in Quicken & Schwab customers, and how long this issue has existed, I had hoped for a better answer than manual tweaks each month. Alas, I guess not.

Thanks!
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Call the tech support at Schwab and ask for the Quicken server guys. I have spoken to them before a long time ago. See if you can make headway there that they can generate a Buy transaction.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    MikeS said:

jr7107 - There's no difference. :-( 

It makes sense that the root cause of this is with Schwab. But given what I assume is a huge overlap in Quicken & Schwab customers, and how long this issue has existed, I had hoped for a better answer than manual tweaks each month. Alas, I guess not.

Thanks!

From C.D. Bales;

" ... given what I assume is a huge overlap in Quicken & Schwab customers ....".

I believe you are significantly mistaken.

I believe the number of Quicken customers at virtually all financial institutions is an extremely small percentage of that financial institution's customer base.

If you can not provide definite proof otherwise, you're just failing to acknowledge reality: the customers of financial institutions have extremely little clout (regarding Quicken) with their financial institution (and Quicken, Inc. has far less clout with the financial institutions ... which are also basically Quicken "customers").

If more Quicken users were to realize, and accept, how little clout they have (with their financial institutions, and with Quicken, Inc), perhaps they would consider a more effective approach than to threaten to quit using Quicken - an approach that is 100% guaranteed to fail.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.