Naming convention for quotes?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
What is the naming convention for options so that Quicken will download the correct quotes?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: How do I handle a call option in Quicken DeLuxe 2017 Windows 10.

Comments

• K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Use the OCC format.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_symbol

Note that not all brokers (TD Ameritrade is one) will send transactions to Quicken with the correct option coding structure.
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Another idea is a "Match to Online Security" for the downloaded transaction within Quicken. The broker should pull the correct end of day price and update.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for your replies.

If I use the OCC format, will Quicken download the correct values when I update my portfolios at end of day?

In general, I am leery of downloading transaction data from brokers or banks. One reason of using Quicken, as I see it, is to compare my Quicken entries with the banks' or brokerages', so I spot any discrepancies,
  • K.O. (Win-Premier)
    K.O. (Win-Premier) Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    CemilB said:

Thanks for your replies.

If I use the OCC format, will Quicken download the correct values when I update my portfolios at end of day?

In general, I am leery of downloading transaction data from brokers or banks. One reason of using Quicken, as I see it, is to compare my Quicken entries with the banks' or brokerages', so I spot any discrepancies,

If you use the OCC format Quicken *should* cownload the quotes.   That said, from time to time I see reports about quotes not downloading (not options specific reports).
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    CemilB said:

Thanks for your replies.

I don't use OCC format, cannot comment on behavior. Ultimately given the short term nature of options I find that broker pricing is accurate. Additionally I use a generic security instead of letting options pile up in my Security list.

I recommend at least testing the download out with a test file if need be and watch the behavior, you might get more comfortable with it.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
This discussion has been closed.