Show Cash in Linked Account missing in Q2018 Windows?

Options
Joseph
Joseph Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have an investment account created back when QWin didn't allow cash in the same investment account. I now want to link it back, but the "Show Cash in Linked Account" is missing in QW2018. How can I get this account back into the master investment account, including all transactions? How can I unlink?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Is this investment account an IRA or other retirement account marked as "Single Mutual Fund" (in Edit Account Details, General tab)?

If so, you can change the selection to "No". That will allow cash to be held in the account and cash - related transactions to be recorded. But you still may not be able to create a "linked cash account".

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm a little confused.  I don't ever recall a time (since 1990) when Quicken would not allow cash in an investment account.  Some financial institutions would require one account/fund, but that is a different restriction.  But I also don't think that comment was germane to your question.  
    I now want to link it back, but the "Show Cash in Linked Account" is missing in QW2018.
    So you had a cash account not linked to an investment account, and now you want it linked?  Can't really be done, I don't think -- but read on.

As UKR noted, Retirement accounts are not allowed to have linked cash accounts, so if this is a retirement account, that is the deal stopper right there, and that would be why QWin (any recent version) would not be showing the option.  (See Footnote)

If this is not a retirement account, then you should have the option to create a linked cash account as part of the investment account.  But you cannot designate or link a pre-existing cash account into that role.  I have a concept in mind that could work, but unless I know that is what you are tying to do, I'll hold back on that for the moment.

Footnote -- I believe at such time as MS Money was dropped, the routines for converting Money files to Quicken files did create retirement account with linked cash accounts, so that would be exception 1.  it is possible that in earlier days also, that setup, retirement with linked cash, may have been possible.  I am taking that back into the early QWin days in the 90s or early 2000s.  I don't recall when the linked cash account option was first introduced.)   
  • Joseph
    Joseph Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have been using Quicken for a REALLY long time - certainly back to DOS days. At one time it either required the cash in retirement accounts to be in a separate account, or I selected that option when offered (doesn't really matter at the moment). So I currently have an investment account where the cash is in a linked cash account. What I want to do is combine them and get rid of the separate cash account (my use of "link it back" was probably misleading). I've seen mention about unchecking the linked account option, but that is not available on this account in QW2018. So I'm trying to figure out how to put the cash back into the retirement account without having to manually enter every transaction.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Joseph said:

I have been using Quicken for a REALLY long time - certainly back to DOS days. At one time it either required the cash in retirement accounts to be in a separate account, or I selected that option when offered (doesn't really matter at the moment). So I currently have an investment account where the cash is in a linked cash account. What I want to do is combine them and get rid of the separate cash account (my use of "link it back" was probably misleading). I've seen mention about unchecking the linked account option, but that is not available on this account in QW2018. So I'm trying to figure out how to put the cash back into the retirement account without having to manually enter every transaction.

Is it a retirement account (IRA, etc), or a brokerage account? Because, as Q.lurker said, only brokerage investment accounts have the option of having a linked cash account.

Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Joseph
    Joseph Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Joseph said:

It is a retirement account
  • Joseph
    Joseph Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Joseph said:

And this is the linked spending account:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Joseph said:

Very helpful.  

I gather also that if you enter a cash transactions in the IRA (like a dividend), the cash component does directly flow to the linked account (becomes a DivX transaction).  That is, the linked account is fully and properly functioning as a linked account.  

All I can come up with as a suggestion is to:
    a)  Backup your data
    b)  For the IRA account, undo the tax-deferred status (Yes to No)
    c)  If it doesn't do it automatically, undo the tax-deferred status for the linked account
    d)  See if the Show Cash option reappears in the now non-tax-deferred IRA account
    e)  (Hopefully), undo that Show Cash option, thereby folding the linked account back into the main account.
    f)  Reset the tax-deferred status back to Yes.  

An exit and restart of Quicken along the way might help.  File validation along the way might also help.

While undoing the linked status (if it appears) should work, you'll want to carefully review the results.  At times, errors have arisen through that step.  
This discussion has been closed.