investment holdings are wrong show a big loss and too many lots 2018

Dave201
Dave201 Windows Beta Beta
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
the holdings in my roth ira shows a loss over 100k for twitter inc, same with the investment portfolio. the register is correct, the holdings and portfolio have the right number of shares on top with a loss of $96,326, the register is correct but when I sell a lot, it shows lots that I don't own anymore, it also shows in holdings.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Please try this:
    In the Holdings view click the Options gear icon and uncheck "Show closed lots".
  • Dave201
    Dave201 Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    show closed lots was not checked, and when I checked it, it showed me all of the stocks that I had traded, twitter was the same and I couldn't do much but watch quicken crash
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

You should validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may
    eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate
    File" and "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that the downloaded Price History may be damaged also check "Delete investing price history". Check to make sure the
    copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action
    again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your
    Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem
    first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file
    that does not exhibit these symptoms.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hopefully, the Rebuild Lots will fix all or most of the problem. If not, ... Make a backup.  Then ...

Since you must have sold some of those lots that are being listed, I would go back to those sales, and delete and re-enter the sales.  I would likely start with the first sale and worked forward in time.  With each re-entry of the sale, check that the correct lots are being sold.  You can also monitor your 'progress' using the Holdings view or a portfolio view and changing the As of Date for that view.  

HTH
This discussion has been closed.