Employer switched retirement company

Mark256
Mark256 Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
My employer switched the companies  that handled my 401, 457, and deferred comp to one company.  I also had an associated brokerage with these accounts.  How do I account for this?  There are 20 years of transactions in the old accounts.  Do I just start over as new balances?  How do i track performance?  Do I hide the old accounts?  Please give me advice on all I should do.  Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If the accounts were moved intact, just continue to use your existing Quicken accounts. If you've been downloading transactions, you'll need to deactivate the accounts for download, update each account's financial institution and account number, and finally reactivate the accounts.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello Mark,

Are you still experiencing issues?

Please let us know. If we don’t hear from you within 48 hours, the thread will be closed.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Mark256
    Mark256 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Well, the old accounts have 20 years of transactions in them.  The new company is Prudential.  Do I just add new accounts for them and bring forward current balances?  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Mark said:

Well, the old accounts have 20 years of transactions in them.  The new company is Prudential.  Do I just add new accounts for them and bring forward current balances?  

RJS's prior suggestion (which I agree with) was to rename the accounts to reflect the new brokerage/manager (Prudential).  You could open new accounts, but that is not required especially of the transfers were "lock, stock, and barrel". 

If you (1) go that route and (2) want downloaded data and (3) Prudential offers download capability, then you will need to disable any prior download setup (if any) you had with the old company and re-initiate that setup to the Prudential system.    
This discussion has been closed.