"Deposit" Transactions in Investment Accounts

Options
Mojo.Hand
Mojo.Hand Member ✭✭
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
QW-H&B-2016What is a "Deposit" transaction, in an Investment Account, and how do I use it?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    A deposit transaction would be putting cash into the investment account.  You might use the cash to one or more securities or funds, or you might let it roll into a MM sweep account for later use. 

I would expect the source of the cash to be from outside your Quicken records - maybe an insurance settlement, or a gift from a family member, any number of possible sources.  But this "deposit" would be different than a transfer of money from your checking account into the investment account. 
  • Mojo.Hand
    Mojo.Hand Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am thinking of a "Deposit" as coming from my IRA and going to my taxable mutual fund account.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Mojo.Hand said:

I am thinking of a "Deposit" as coming from my IRA and going to my taxable mutual fund account.

Normally, I would use a WithdrawX from the IRA as a transfer to a deposit entry into a Checking account.  

You can do the WithdrawX from the IRA as a transfer to the Investment Account where it will show up as an XIn (cash in) transaction.  Unfortunately in Quicken, taking that route means the distribution out of the IRA does not show up in the Tax Schedule Report as a 1099-R entry nor within the Tax Summary reports.

With regard to your parallel QCD IRA question, that might be a desirable outcome.  
This discussion has been closed.