show a description of a payment on invoice

I have applied a payment to an invoice, and it calculates the balance due correctly but it doesn't show how it got to that number anywhere on the invoice. is there a way to show that on an invoice?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Which version of Quicken are you using?
    New with Q 2018/19 is a "Balance Due" field at the bottom of the invoice. This field only shows on the printed invoice.
    Programmers added that in, but I'm not quite sure if it works correctly. There have been some discussions here in the Community.
    And I haven't found any instructions on how to make that show the correct amount.
    I suppose you have to create invoice, save it, receive payment, print invoice (in that order) to get the correct Balance Due to show.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I am sorry i wasn't very clear
    I am using 2019 home and business
    the balance due shows correctly, but it does not update the invoice on how it got to that number.
    say the payment was a deposit on the payment description it does not add that to the invoice when i apply the payment to the invoice.
    the invoice does not show why there is a difference in amounts
    it only shows the different dollar amounts
    i feel this would confuse the customer
    i guess i could add it manually in the description line on the invoice.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You need to generate a Statement to show payments.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    No, Jim.
    Do not try to include any line items on the invoice to show payment received.
    Quicken just isn't designed to do that.
    At this time there's no way to include anything better than the Balance Due box on the invoice.
    Doing that would require a big design change. And I have no idea if the programmers are even considering making design changes in Quicken.
    If you have to, set up a customer message to show on the invoice, to explain the situation.
    Consider generating Customer Statements for customers with outstanding unpaid invoices.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I am really disappointed in this program
    I don't understand how quicken can think it is OK to have an amount for services on an invoice and a balance due with a different amount and not show how it got to that number.
    I think I will just go back to using a spreadsheet for invoicing.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited November 2018
    The Balance Due was added in Quicken 2018/2019 by some programmer who had no clue about Invoices and Statements. In Quicken 2017, you would send an Invoice first and if a partial payment was received, you sent a Statement showing the payment and Balance Due. The Balance Due does NOT belong on the Invoice. We should have the option of removing it in the Forms Designer.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    How does quicken expect a business to deal with deposits for a service? how do you create an invoice when you get the deposit before the invoice is even generated?
    I can't be the only person who gets a deposit to start services.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited November 2018
    Generate an Invoice and then apply the deposit. When the work is finished, send a Statement with the Balance Due.
  • twoj
    twoj Member
    It would not seem to be too difficult to bring back the old version of the form.  Is there a way to get Quicken to do it?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited April 2019
    Actually, the best way is to make it an option in the Forms Designer instead of being hard coded. You can create a New Idea post in the Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows category and let users vote for it.
This discussion has been closed.