Share Balance Does Not Reflect Share Sale

Options
gcvsea
gcvsea Member ✭✭✭
A few months ago I purchased a bank CD. It was based on a number of shares at a specific price. I recently sold those shares, yet Quicken still shows that I own all of the shares, meaning the value of my account is incorrect.

There is a transaction in Quicken that I did not add. It is identified as a bank bond for the same bank, but it doesn't include a number of shares.

I am trying to figure out how to zero out the number of shares in the bank CD so that my investments are accurate. I don't know if I should delete the bond transaction which Quicken must have automatically added. But again, there are no shares for that transaction.

I included a purchase of the shares, as well as the sale of the shares, but Quicken did not zero out the total number of shares.

Best Answer

• gcvsea
    gcvsea Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello Harold.

Thank you for your comment. It turned out that I unintentionally caused the problem.

There are multiple and very similarly named shares for the bank CD that I purchased. I purchased the shares typing in one name. When I went to sell them, Quicken automatically suggested a different share class with a VERY slightly different name. I didn’t see that discrepancy. Quicken software interpreted my error as meaning I bought shares of one type of CD, and then sold shares of a different CD that I never actually purchased or owned.

The take away of this is that users like me need to confirm that the suggested autofill names of securities is an EXACT match to the original. Even a one letter differentiation will lead to the problem I had.

Answers

• Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hello gcvsea. Appreciate your question. Apologies for the delay in reaching out to you.

Are you still experiencing this issue? 

A recommendation is to enter a Remove Sahres transaction in Quicken that and enter the amount of the shares so that the security shows 0 shares:

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • gcvsea
    gcvsea Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello Harold.

Thank you for your comment. It turned out that I unintentionally caused the problem.

There are multiple and very similarly named shares for the bank CD that I purchased. I purchased the shares typing in one name. When I went to sell them, Quicken automatically suggested a different share class with a VERY slightly different name. I didn’t see that discrepancy. Quicken software interpreted my error as meaning I bought shares of one type of CD, and then sold shares of a different CD that I never actually purchased or owned.

The take away of this is that users like me need to confirm that the suggested autofill names of securities is an EXACT match to the original. Even a one letter differentiation will lead to the problem I had.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for letting us know that the issue was resolved..

Have a great day!
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.