Switching between Quicken files

I have more several Quicken files in Quicken 2016, When I want to switch from one file to another, I click File/Open Quicken File and a window opens with a list of the Quicken files so I can choose the one i want.
Today, however, the window opens and there is no list of the Quicken files.
I searched through the file directories on the PC and found This PC/Documents/Quicken/Back-up with several copies of my Quicken files.
Do I click on the latest version of the Quicken file I want to switch to?
I am afraid that doing this might over-write the file that is currently open.
Why didn't the normal window open showing the other Quicken files?

Best Answer

Answers

• Graham106
    Graham106 Member ✭✭
    Hi Dave,
    Many thanks for your help.
    I tried the file list at the bottom of 'File' and the list of files was there and I was able to open them.
    I am glad I checked rather than opening the back-up files.
    Typing .qdf in the search box also enabled me to find the files.
    Thank you so much.
    Kind regards,
    Graham
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never used File > Open Quicken File until I just tried it to see what you are referring to. 
    I normally use the file list at the bottom of 'File' Mine looks like this and yours should too.

I used to have way more files, like one for my daughter's finances and several experimental files. 

I would not open one of those backup files  Type .qdf in your search box at bottom left of you screen and you should get a list of all your Quicken files plus backups and where they are located on your desktop.

@David Christopher 

Storing your Quicken data file in a OneDrive folder is not recommended and can lead to file corruption that you might not notice until it's too late.

Services such as OneDrive or Google Drive can be used as a location to store backups of your Quicken data files.  We don't recommend storing your active data files, or installing Quicken, on these drives.  If you restore a backup that is located in your cloud drive, make certain the restored file is saved locally on your hard drive before using the file.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • David Christopher
    David Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK Thanks, I moved the folder back into C:\Documents. I do keep my backups on an external hard drive though. 

Thanks again.
    By the way, what is the difference in OneDrive and DropBox?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OneDrive and Dropbox are both cloud storage services. OneDrive is bundled into Windows and belongs to Microsoft whereas Dropbox is a paid service from Dropbox, Inc. You can use OneDrive for backups as well as your external hard drive.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.