Something wrong with Income/Expense comparison?

Options
RMW
RMW Member ✭✭✭
In the "Income/Expense Comparison by Category" Report the Amount Difference has the wrong sign. The report shows lower expenses this year compared to last year as a POSITIVE amount with a corresponding positive % Difference. It should be negative since the expenses were lower this year. This makes for a confusing report.
On the Income section of the report the Differences do have the correct sign.
Is this a bug?
Tagged:

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds right to me.  Less expenses would be a positive amount (less negative).  If you had -10,000 last year and only -5,000 this year that is a +5,000 difference.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• RMW
    RMW Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, you obviously have more money with lower expenses.

In Quicken for Windows Expenses are shown with a positive sign.
    Example:
    Auto Insurance 2018 = $1,154; Auto Insurance 2019 = 802. Y/Y comparison would be 802-1154 = -352 or -30.53%. Quicken shows +352 and +30.53%.
    Less expenses compared to last year should be negative as they represent a reduction in expenses. The reference (base) for calculating any change should always be the prior number.

Quicken seems to do the calculation the other way around - which is confusing to me.

Interesting to note is that in Quicken for the Mac, expenses are shown with negative signs (as you referred to above) but the difference still shows up as a positive number for lower expenses this year. However, the % difference has the correct negative sign on Quicken for Mac. Go figure...
This discussion has been closed.