How to mass update stock symbol without affecting other accounts

I have multiple investment accounts in my Quicken. My 529 accounts have the wrong symbol on one of the investments. I want to mass update all the transactions without affecting the symbol that is used in another investment account. Is that possible? I know how to change the security ticker symbol, but that will then update across my entire Quicken and that is not what I want.

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    How about a corporate acquisition of the "wrong ticker" with stock from the "right ticker"?

Backup your file and test that. Presumably the "right ticker" acquisition will preserve the "wrong ticker" lots successfully. I don't know the specifics of your transaction, but I would just change the ticker.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to review this recent discussion on a similar question:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20046058#Comment_20046058

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr7107 said:
    How about a corporate acquisition of the "wrong ticker" with stock from the "right ticker"?

Backup your file and test that. Presumably the "right ticker" acquisition will preserve the "wrong ticker" lots successfully. I don't know the specifics of your transaction, but I would just change the ticker.
    The Corp Acq transaction will get applied across all accounts. The user would then need to undo those effects in accounts where the event was. not applicable. 
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    jr7107 said:

The Corp Acq transaction will get applied across all accounts. The user would then need to undo those effects in accounts where the event was. not applicable. 
    I don't see that effect the way it was described. OP appears to want to correct the error. Assuming a single account with wrong ticker for lack of details.

A "right ticker" acquisition will affect the account with the "wrong ticker" and the individual lots should be acquired with the right ticker.

But as noted I think a simpler change is editing the security with the right ticker.

You can do anything you want with a backup.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was understanding
    Acct 1 -- Correct Security used, Ticker = YES
    Acct 2 -- Security used was YES; should have been a different security = ELSE

A Corp Acq with ELSE acquiring YES in Acct 2 would also get applied in Acct 1.  Easy enough to then undo in Acct 1, but the undo would be required.  

I suspect you read it as:
    Acct 1 -- Correct Security used, Ticker = YES
    Acct 2 -- Security used was ELSE; should have been YES

In that case, YES (or some other security) acquiring ELSE would be effective.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m confused. Tickers are tied to discrete securities. Different securities can inadvertently have the same symbol. So do you really mean you have the wrong security in one account?  Or, do you mean you have a Security with the wrong ticker.  If so then just edit that security and change the ticker.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home