Replacement Credit Card Transactions Not Downloading (Despite De & Reactivating) (Q Mac)

roybendor
roybendor Member ✭✭
Using Quicken Deluxe 2020 for Mac (Version 5.14.3). Recently had an AmEx card compromised and was sent a replacement card. First went in and changed connection type to make sure everything was properly linked. Looked good (new card number showed up and linked to same account). Nothing downloaded. Then tried de-activating and re-activating to make it more explicit. Nothing downloaded. Then tried switching it to manual and then activating. Nothing downloaded. I don't understand what is happening or why. Can someone help?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi @roybender,

Thanks for the response.  On my 2nd question about deactivation - I was actually referring to deactivation in Quicken, not in the accounts maintained by Amex.  I think your problem is that you may not have deactivated the account in Quicken, so here's the solution I would propose: You need to completely deactivate the account in Quicken.

I use Windows, so the instructions may differ slightly in the Mac environment, but these are the steps I suggest you take:

1) Open the account in Quicken and go to Edit Account Details; then go to "Online Services";
    2) There should be a "Deactivate" button - hit that;
    3) This should return you to a screen that indicates the account is not activated for online services.
    4) Go to the General Account Details tab and delete the Account Number.
    5) Close out Quicken.  Then restart Quicken;
    6) Open up the account again and go to the General Account Details tab and enter the Account Number. Also keep in mind that you also have to change the name of the account register if it contained a portion of the old card number; i.e. change "AMEX Acct 123" to "AMEX Acct 789".
    7) Go to "Online Services" tab and hit the "Set-up Now" button;
    8) On the "Activate One Step Update page (that pops-up) enter the User ID/User Name and password & hit "Connect".

Hopefully this will reset your account and allow you to see the new transactions.

Get back to me if you encounter any issues as you go through these steps, and let me know how you make out.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @roybendor,

It sounds like you may actually still be connecting with the old account.  A couple of questions:

Have you gone online (outside of Quicken) and determined that there are new transactions made after the date you received the new card?

Did you completely "deactivate" the old card before you "connected" the new card?

Let me know.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• roybendor
    roybendor Member ✭✭
    Thanks for writing me. I have gone into my AmEx account and determined that there were multiple charges after the activation of the new card - this account had three cardmembers and there are probably a dozen transactions a day.

The old card was completely de-activated the moment I reported the compromise and the new card was issued (the old card stopped working immediately).

What's strange is that when I connect my Quicken account to the AmEx online platform it immediately shows the new account number and links it, so it definitely is getting through to AmEx, definitely knows that it needs to download the activity from this card, and there is a LOT of new activity and yet nothing downloads.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    Hi @roybender,

Thanks for the response.  On my 2nd question about deactivation - I was actually referring to deactivation in Quicken, not in the accounts maintained by Amex.  I think your problem is that you may not have deactivated the account in Quicken, so here's the solution I would propose: You need to completely deactivate the account in Quicken.

I use Windows, so the instructions may differ slightly in the Mac environment, but these are the steps I suggest you take:

1) Open the account in Quicken and go to Edit Account Details; then go to "Online Services";
    2) There should be a "Deactivate" button - hit that;
    3) This should return you to a screen that indicates the account is not activated for online services.
    4) Go to the General Account Details tab and delete the Account Number.
    5) Close out Quicken.  Then restart Quicken;
    6) Open up the account again and go to the General Account Details tab and enter the Account Number. Also keep in mind that you also have to change the name of the account register if it contained a portion of the old card number; i.e. change "AMEX Acct 123" to "AMEX Acct 789".
    7) Go to "Online Services" tab and hit the "Set-up Now" button;
    8) On the "Activate One Step Update page (that pops-up) enter the User ID/User Name and password & hit "Connect".

Hopefully this will reset your account and allow you to see the new transactions.

Get back to me if you encounter any issues as you go through these steps, and let me know how you make out.

Frankx 

• roybendor
    roybendor Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. I tried this already (this is what I meant when I originally wrote "tried de-activating and re-activating to make it more explicit. Nothing downloaded."). That said, I didn't close out of Quicken and re-open it afterward, so maybe that's the trick. I'll try it tonight when I get home and report. Regardless, thanks for your efforts to assist.
  • roybendor
    roybendor Member ✭✭
    I can't believe it, but this worked! I still can't wrap my head around why closing and re-opening Quicken made a difference, but it did. I can't thank you enough! This was driving me bananas! Of all my accounts on Quicken this is the only one that would be basically impossible to deal with manually. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @roybendor,

I am happy to have helped you!!!  Good luck going forward.  :)

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.