Why can't I over rule the renaming rule in Quicken

Today, after downloading transactions from my bank, I tried to change one renaming rule in my account. Instead, the system now seems to rename every transaction from four different vendors, throughout four years of transactions in Quicken. I called customer service, but was told that the only way to fix this problem is is start over from scratch. Meanwhile, I have four years of transactions that are now corrupted. Why can't I get rid of this renaming rule function all together? It is not helpful to me.

Best Answer

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    You should restore your file to just prior to your update. That will get your file back as it should be. Then you should delete any errant renaming rules.  Then rerun OSU. 

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    You should restore your file to just prior to your update. That will get your file back as it should be. Then you should delete any errant renaming rules.  Then rerun OSU. 
  • Actually, I called back to Quicken and got another technician who helped me do exactly what you suggest and taught me a few other things about using the program that were new to me. I wish I could recall the name of the other technician because she kept telling me things like "I know how Quicken works, but you just don't like what I am telling you." She was right that I didn't like what she was telling me, but she was wrong in stating that she knew how Quicken works. I've used Quicken for 20+ years and just couldn't believe that the only option I had was to start over from scratch and use the messed up file as reference - it was so messed up that this would be impossible. I now have a resurrected file that is working just fine.
This discussion has been closed.