Should my stock prices update with current value?

Options
Sorry in advance for the newbie question. I'm setting up my investments for the first time. I entered my initial stock purchases and the values when I purchased. Shouldn't the Market Value show the current value based on number of shares and current stock price?

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @njcarson8,

Okay - that makes sense. 

I think the easiest thing would be to change the "buy shares" transaction to a "shares added" transaction. This will allow you to keep track of your basis (cost of the investment when purchased) and also fix the account balance problem that was created with the "buy transaction"

Let me know if you have any follow-ups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @njcarson8,

The short answer is "yes" but let me ask a few questions...
    1) have you added the ticker symbols for each of your investments?
    2) have you selected the "update" button from the "investing" screen?

Let us know.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• njcarson8
    njcarson8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes and yes but looking at it now, I think I set it up incorrectly. I made an investment account and then entered the initial stock purchase (from 2015) as a "Buy" transaction. The cash balance in the investment account went to a negative number which was the amount I paid for the stock. So I think the Market Value in the upper right is the value of the stock now, minus the purchase price. Is there a way to set up starting points with existing investments, without creating a negative cash balance in the investment account?
  • njcarson8
    njcarson8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    And thanks @Frankx for the quick reply and for your help!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @njcarson8,

Okay - that makes sense. 

I think the easiest thing would be to change the "buy shares" transaction to a "shares added" transaction. This will allow you to keep track of your basis (cost of the investment when purchased) and also fix the account balance problem that was created with the "buy transaction"

Let me know if you have any follow-ups.

Frankx

• njcarson8
    njcarson8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Perfect, problem solved, again huge thanks.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No problem - happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.