Bunch of transactions in first century, i.e. 0009 instead of 2009

Options
I have quicken mac file. I started by converting from quicken for windows (2007-2019), and have been using quicken for a year. Recently I found and converted my transactions from Microsoft Money from 1994-2007.

All transactions before 2007 has the correct 4 digit year (MSMoney entries). All transactions after 2010 are also correct (including Quicken for Windows and Mac). Transactions in 2007-2009 are entered as 0007-0009. These transactions (roughly 5000 of them) are originally entered by Quicken for Windows.

Is there a way to fix this?

Is there a way to display the year in 4 digits in the register?

Thanks

Cengiz

Best Answer

• cngz
    cngz Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks UKR and John.

I have transferred both files into a new quicken for mac file using the quicken cloud service to do the transfer. Dates are correct now.

I made a copy of the original copy of the QMac file and deleted all the transactions that was not entered there, exported the leftover transactins as QWin file and imported them back into the new file.

Now I have everything and dates are good.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    We normally don't see this with Quicken for Windows conversions.

Were all of these versions US versions with transactions imported from US banks? Or do you have any foreign countries involved? (Date issues are common with the latter.) 
  • cngz
    cngz Member
    Options
    All US and USD accounts.
  • John_in_NC
    Options
    cngz said:
    All US and USD accounts.
    Thanks for the info. 

Short answer=nothing you can do about this in QMac. You won't be able to batch change dates, so you would have to manually update 5K transactions to the correct century.

The problems you have likely occurred in the conversions. We normally don't see this in normal QWin-->QMac conversions where you follow instructions/let it import the Windows file. The MS$ conversions can be more delicate, as those have more date issues, but you noted your problems were with the QWin era transactions.

Short of running the conversions again, you won't be able to fix this on the Mac side. I am sorry to deliver the bad news. :-(
  • cngz
    cngz Member
    Options
    Thanks John. I think I will attend the conversion one more time. Is there a way for me to export roughly one year worth of transactions from Quicken for Mac (the new entries) and then import them back after the conversion? What is the best export format for this purpose? Do I do them one account at a time?

I appreciate the help. The other option would be to delete these 5K transactions, and then reimport just those from Quicken for windows.

The transactions have lots of transfers. I may worried I may end up with some duplicate transactions.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just guessing here ... were these 5000 imported transactions using a QIF file to import?
    If so, check the dates in the QIF file using a text editor program.
    If the dates are written with a two digit year and two slashes, e.g. 1/1/07, then you need to edit all dates and change them to use a four digit year, e.g., 1/1/2007. Save the changes, repeat the import process and get rid of all the transactions with /000x years (or start over with a blank new data file).
    As mentioned before, using the QDF file from Quicken for Windows as the export/import media should have been flawless, provided that your computer is set to using a Gregorian calendar.
  • John_in_NC
    Options
    Hi again, cngz:

I don't think there is any exporting that should be done. I suspect all these date issues occurred on the Windows side, and the conversion to Mac is where the underlying problems manifested themselves. Again, I don't think this will be resolved on the Mac platform as the data it is receiving has the issues.

We don't see many MS $ conversions these days as MS pulled the plug on that a decade ago. But that, and like UKR mentioned (QIF imports) are notorious for for converting with two versus for year date formats. 

Short of rebuilding your QWin file from its source data, I really don't know the best solution. (And even then, I don't know if that would work.) 

Perhaps the QWin people have ideas to verify/correct your source data to ensure the transactions have the correct 4 year date. I really think this will have to be resolved on the Win side. And then, I don't know if resolution is possible. :-(
  • cngz
    cngz Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks UKR and John.

I have transferred both files into a new quicken for mac file using the quicken cloud service to do the transfer. Dates are correct now.

I made a copy of the original copy of the QMac file and deleted all the transactions that was not entered there, exported the leftover transactins as QWin file and imported them back into the new file.

Now I have everything and dates are good.
This discussion has been closed.