Access Denied Error during Update to Latest Version [edited]

drlunsford
drlunsford Member ✭✭
In trying to update to the latest windows subscription version, I get this error message: 'Access to the path C:\program files (x86)\quicken\avcodec-53.dll' is denied. Any idea what to do about it? All other updates have installed with no problems.

Best Answer

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you are allowing the program to update and receive an error, it appears that Quicken may have had an issue that they fixed in R28.28 based on their release notes.  Hence a an alternative way is to manually download the patch from here and install it:
    Hope this helps
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• drlunsford
    drlunsford Member ✭✭
    Thanks, but now I get a different error message. This one says 'we are unable to contact Quicken server. Please check you internet connectivity and try again. If the problem persist (sic), try again sometime.'

Well, my internet connectivity is fine and I've tried again sometime to no avail; I keep getting this message.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Were you able to manually download and install the Mondo patch and run the Quicken program successfully after that?  It helps to know that.
    What function did you do to get this new error message?  Please describe in detail. We all receive that error when trying to update an account from time to time and typically it is a simple matter of trying again later.

• drlunsford
    drlunsford Member ✭✭
    OK. I downloaded the US Mondo patch to my desktop following the instructions on the website. Right clicked and ran it as Administrator. It starts and shows the info on the patch but then give the error message immediately when I click the update button in that window.

I guess I'm puzzled because One Step Update works in the program so I know contact with the server is available for that.
  • drlunsford
    drlunsford Member ✭✭
    Thanks! Disabling my antivirus worked for updating within the Quicken program. I tried doing that after it still didn't update from the Mondo patch.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Glad it worked for you @drlunsford .  For updates, I ONLY update using the manual Mondo patch, which is also the recommended method by the superusers of this community, and never encountered an issue.  What matters is that your issue is now resolved.  Also keep the uninstall/reinstall link handy for future needs - someday you will use it when everything else fails.  Have a good weekend, Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.