Social Security Benefits - how to feed into Tax Planner --> Other Income

Options
Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Was looking at the Tax Planner, and the various fields
and how they are filled from the transactions and categories.
How should Social Security Benefits paid out in a transaction be categorized in a Register ?  
I don't see a built-in Category that reflects the SSA Benefit payout. 
Also, looking at the Tax Planner - Other Income -
I can see the Total Social Security Income field,
which appears to be capable of the summary of any SSA transactions - but how ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oddly, there is no built-in category for SS benefits. You have to create one (or 2 if you're married) and connect it to the correct tax line item.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    And which one would then trigger the Tax Planner into grabbing those transactions -
    and nothing else - for the SSA Total Benefits entries ?

You need a top-level income category named Social Security. If you are single, you must assign it the tax line item "Form 1040:Social security income, self". If you are married, you should have 2 subcategories, 1 for each spouse, with the appropriate "self" & "spouse" tax line items.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ps56k said:
    And which one would then trigger the Tax Planner into grabbing those transactions -
    and nothing else - for the SSA Total Benefits entries ?
    Guess I'll play a little....
    No need to "play," or guess, or search. The answer is before your eyes. See the underlined blue link in the top right of the image you posted above? It's not just decor. Click it.
    ps56k said:
    You need a top-level income category named Social Security. If you are single, you must assign it the tax line item "Form 1040:Social security income, self". If you are married, you should have 2 subcategories, 1 for each spouse, with the appropriate "self" & "spouse" tax line items.
    Whoever wrote that answer must be very smart.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oddly, there is no built-in category for SS benefits. You have to create one (or 2 if you're married) and connect it to the correct tax line item.
    this was the key - from the "smart person" - creating the missing Category linkup ....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    To take it a step further; if you expect a portion of SS to be taxable, create another non-taxable category and use a split to record social security income received based on the taxable amount.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    markus1957 said: To take it a step further; if you expect a portion of SS to be taxable...
    Just trying to load up the Tax Planner for the worst case of various future incomes -
    - added extra to the Cap Gains for end of year mutual fund payouts
    - added all of the projected SSA benefits to the Other Income field

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• kgef3g
    kgef3g Member
    Options
    I set up two "paychecks" for the monthly Social Security payments my husband and I receive. However, when the deposit is posted to Quicken, they both default to just one of the paycheck templates, so I need to manually adjust the other deposit. How do I keep them separated? Since the deposits are both coming from Social Security Administration, there seems to be no differentiation between his and my payments as there would be if we were working for different companies. Any ideas how to get around that?
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    I use two regular Income Reminders with category splits (to record taxable versus non-taxable amounts) that automatically enter into the register each month.  The downloads always match to the correct entries.

A Paycheck reminder is overly complex for a social security payment.
This discussion has been closed.