Quicken does not auto reconcile accounts after transaction download and match

Most of my accounts will automatically reconcile the transactions after I have downloaded and manually matched them in the register. I can click Done and Quicken will reconcile the register.

However, I have a few accounts that consistently will not automatically reconcile. I have the option to "Reconcile using online balance" checked on the "Online Services" tab in the account details screen. I have to go to Actions -> Reconcile (or CTRL-R) in the register and then it marks all of the cleared transactions as reconciled just fine.

What am I doing wrong? It's been like this for years through various versions of Quicken.

Quicken Deluxe, Version R49.29, Build 27.1.49.29
Windows 10 Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2965)

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Hi @Brian Biggs

You may not be doing anything wrong.  Are the accounts that don't auto reconcile bank accounts, or other types of accounts?  The Auto Reconcile function only works for bank accounts where you have transaction download activated.  

If the accounts in question are bank accounts - are those activated for transaction downloading?  If you are downloading transactions from them, are you sure that you've activated the automatic reconcile feature?

Let me know.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See if this helps...The "Reconcile using online balance" setting needs to be disabled/unchecked under Account>Edit>Online Services. The next time you reconcile, the account will trigger "use paper or online balance?". You can then  re-select the option.
  • Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Frankx , thanks for the reply. I will pay closer attention to which accounts work and which ones do not. I believe all of my bank accounts (checking, savings) reconcile correctly. Some credit card accounts will auto reconcile, others will not. These are all set to download transactions. They all have the "Reconcile using online balance" set, which I believe is the "automatic reconcile feature" you're referring to?

@GeoffG , thanks for your reply as well. I will try your trick of disabling the "Reconcile using online balance" and see if that makes a difference.

• JBL in AZ
    JBL in AZ Member ✭✭✭
    I have this same problem. Some accounts allowed me to check "Auto-reconcile" when I set them up, others did not. Those that do not autoreconcile give me no option I can find to check that in any settings I can find. There's nothing I need to look at in Reconcile; after I click Done, then ^R (or Tools->Reconcile An Account), verify that the difference is 0 and click Done. I'm happy to have that done in an Autoreconcile, but I can't make it do it.
  • David Ouzounian
    David Ouzounian Member ✭✭✭
    I have a similar problem, but I want to turn off auto reconcile. I have checked each online account, and am sure the "Reconcile using online balance" check box is unchecked. Yet, Q (latest version for Windows) reconciles each transaction when I accept the downloaded transaction.

What am I missing?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @David Ouzounian

You said David Ouzounian said:
    Yet, Q (latest version for Windows) reconciles each transaction when I accept the downloaded transaction.
    So, just to be clear - after you "accept the downloaded transaction" do "each transaction" have a "R" in the Clr column, or do they have a "c"?  If there's a "c" that means the transaction has cleared the bank.  If there's an "R" that means the transaction has been Reconciled.

Let me know.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Frankx , an update and a clarification on this issue I'm having. The update is that I just wanted to be clear that when I refer to "auto reconcile", I'm talking about Quicken "automatically" marking cleared transactions as reconciled after all downloaded transactions have been matched (cleared).

I think everyone was interpreting my problem as such, but there is a term in Quicken and in the documentation (and shown in the screenshot) about Auto reconcile download transactions. I do NOT want Quicken to do that. I want to manually match (clear) downloaded transactions, and then have Quicken automatically mark them with an "R" (reconciled) after all have been matched and I click Done. Am I interpreting this option correctly?

Whew. OK, so now that is all cleared (no pun intended) up, I modified the settings for one of the accounts I was having an issue with for "auto reconcile". I unchecked the Reconcile using online balance option. I manually cleared my downloaded transactions. I hit Ctrl+R to reconcile the account and was prompted with the attach dialog.

I checked the Always use Online Balance ... box and hit OK. I was prompted with the reconcile window, and the reconciled balance is 0. I hit Done and the cleared transactions are marked as Reconciled.

Problem is I had done this the last time, and it still won't "auto-reconcile".

Am I correct in thinking that the Auto reconcile downloaded transactions is NOT the option I want to check here?

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Brian Biggs

Yes, you are correct in your thinking, you should not select the "Auto reconcile downloaded transactions" option.

Frankx

• Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, so does this now officially qualify as a "bug"?

• Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing is happening with another account, different bank. I'm going to submit a bug through Quicken directly.

• NV-VT
    NV-VT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    [Duplicate]
This discussion has been closed.